1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Motivating Year 11

Discussion in 'English' started by lmmcmorrine, Mar 2, 2011.

1. I am working with a group of Year 11s. Now that their coursework has been sorted out, we have moved onto revision. They are doing WJEC and I have been told that they are particularly weak on Paper 2 (English) and especially Section B. I have been using resources the HoD has given me and also using past papers. They are very hard work 'forgetting' their tutoring times, distracting one another, insisting they should be somewhere far more important than English then moaning about the fact that they are doing similar things in class with their teacher.
    I am finding it very difficult to motivate them, which is made harder for me in that the maths revision is going 'brilliantly'. Any suggestions gratefully received.

2. I am working with a group of Year 11s. Now that their coursework has been sorted out, we have moved onto revision. They are doing WJEC and I have been told that they are particularly weak on Paper 2 (English) and especially Section B. I have been using resources the HoD has given me and also using past papers. They are very hard work 'forgetting' their tutoring times, distracting one another, insisting they should be somewhere far more important than English then moaning about the fact that they are doing similar things in class with their teacher.
    I am finding it very difficult to motivate them, which is made harder for me in that the maths revision is going 'brilliantly'. Any suggestions gratefully received.

3. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

Paper 2, Section B - is that the creative writing tasks?
    If so, have they created characters of their own that could appear in almost any descriptive piece? My low-ability sets loved perfecting their creations and dropping them in to the most disparate scenes. It helped to fire their imagination in the exam and I really noticed their performance improve through the revision period. I'd give more advice but not sure I'm on the right paper - legacy or new?