1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Motivating colleagues

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by FRJones, Oct 2, 2015.

1. FRJones

FRJones New commenter

Hi,

I'd like some advice, I'm struggling to motivate a member of my team.

Everything is met with a moan and 'do I have to' attitude. I'm a my wits end to the point where I delegate a task and feel anxious as I know it'll be met with much resistance. I'm very positive and hardworking so I find it more frustrating. I really want my students to do well but I can't do everything! I've had no problems with any other colleague that I've worked with.

Any ideas?

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

I don't know if this might work, but maybe try having lunch with this colleague and get to know them a bit better. Of course everyone has to work as a team and pull together to get things done, but maybe this person has some difficult things going on at home or they feel overwhelmed at work. On the other hand, maybe they are lazy and they don't give a hoot about what you are trying to get them to do.

3. disconic

disconic New commenter

As above, but also try to see things from their point of view. Are they an older teacher? They may have seen 'new initiatives' before and know problems associated with it.

4. FRJones

FRJones New commenter

No, similar age but a good point. I will try seeing things from their point of view.
    I've had lunch with this colleague and she does have family commitments.

5. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

It depends what you are delegating. Is it all stuff this person should be responsible for? Does she/he do the tasks?
    If it's just a moany attitude but stuff gets done, I think you perhaps need to accept that not everyone is as positive as you.

FRJones and bombaysapphire like this.
  6. FRJones

FRJones New commenter

Thanks for all of the advice.

7. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

I am presuming these people get paid?

8. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Hold a team meeting. Bring cake. Discuss the team responsibilities with the team and lay out what needs to be done. It will become apparent to everyone if this person does not volunteer or takes on tasks grudgingly, and they may prefer to step up rather than be shown up. Delegate work around the team so that it's also clear to this person that everyone gets asked to do something and they don't have an unfair load. Bear in mind it may also simply be that this person is only happy when they are whingeing about something, in which case so long as they get the work done to a good standard etc., you could try to ignore the whinge and recognise the work.

9. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

I agree. Try a bit of niceness and cajoling to start with. Cake, a lunch out etc. Even some of the worst whingers at work are alright once they are out of the school gates!

Also ask yourself is the task you are asking reasonable. If you are say expecting them to enter 48 pieces of data for every child over a year on an Excel spreadsheet... (real example believe it or not!)

Otherwise if the whinge continues and there are no 'mitigating circumstances' in the whingers personal life, report them to their line manager.

notsonorthernlass likes this.
  10. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Everyone has commitments outside of teaching.

If they are refusing to do things they are paid to do, then you may have to take this higher. If they are doing their job and just like to moan, you'll have to accept it's their personality trait, and work round it.

11. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Also I agree with the 'if they moan but do it let it be' comments. I myself like to have a good moan and whinge about anything and everything, and actually enjoy a good moan (you would never guess.....) but will still get the job done. However, my style is not to moan directly to the person giving me a job but more generally!