1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Motivating boys in F2

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Dori, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Hi there and happy new year to all !
    I have a wonderful class this year and six particular children are so full of mischief, humour and ENERGY they are stressing me out! These boys just need to look at each other and at least two of the errupt into giggles. They are quite intellegent and have shown alot of potential but there is naturally alot of work to do. No matter how much I seperate them they manage to get together and seperating them again is taking up time, my energy and distracting others from my attention with other activities to develop their skills. I would be very grateful for any advice on how to stimulate such boys to work independently of an adult and nicely with each other. We have used sticker charts and some are on IEP's for behaviour/emotion difficulties. I've provided numerous resources to attract them and need to channel their attention and develop their concentration.
    Many thanks for any advice.
    Dori x

2. Hi there and happy new year to all !
    I have a wonderful class this year and six particular children are so full of mischief, humour and ENERGY they are stressing me out! These boys just need to look at each other and at least two of the errupt into giggles. They are quite intellegent and have shown alot of potential but there is naturally alot of work to do. No matter how much I seperate them they manage to get together and seperating them again is taking up time, my energy and distracting others from my attention with other activities to develop their skills. I would be very grateful for any advice on how to stimulate such boys to work independently of an adult and nicely with each other. We have used sticker charts and some are on IEP's for behaviour/emotion difficulties. I've provided numerous resources to attract them and need to channel their attention and develop their concentration.
    Many thanks for any advice.
    Dori x

3. Hi Dori - your boys sound like a group I have too. All they want to do is construction and be outside - which is fab, but channeling them is hard work! However before Christmas I really tried working on encouraging writing and mark making for the boys (I know this is not the be all and end all of learning in Rec). I made writing belts out of old tool belts, which they love and can carry round any where. Also was given massive rolls of paper which I lay out on the floor. Outdoor I had an old whiteboard put up which they clammered to use, even with the snow, making patterns on it! I also tried giving them bars of soap and water and brushes which they adored. I found I could actually get some teaching in and it kept them otu of mischief and out of time-out for a while!
    Good luck

4. Thanks PipPie,
    we're in for a fun Spring term I see [​IMG] I will certainly add these to my list.
    Many thanks.

5. When you say:
    what do you mean? What are these actually achieving?
    So often these IEPs, IBPs, whatever you want to call them, are nothing more than meaningless paperwork. When you fill in these forms does anything actually happen?

6. Miss Piggywig

Miss Piggywig New commenter

I have several children on IEP and IBP's it is more paper work, but without evidence we have no way of getting any support or outside involvement to help.

7. Yes.

8. Dear teejay1000000,
    a couple of the children in my class require support through class and school action, and only two have an IEP. This certainly isn't a waste of time as the families also require support. A couple of these children are in the group of boys I mentioned in my first post. I agree, so long as the paperwork is necessary and creates positive steps for future development I am committed to support them.
    regards
    Dori