1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mother's Day

Discussion in 'Personal' started by delmamerchant, Mar 25, 2017.

1. delmamerchant

delmamerchant Established commenter

Wishing my fellow mothers, mothers to be, teachers who feel like
    they are mothers to the learners that they teach....have a fantastic Mother's Day.
    :)[​IMG]

ScotSEN and BelleDuJour like this.
  2. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Thankfully, I never put any woman in the position of being a mother. I feel sorry for my own mother having had five children. My parents should have stopped after the first three, though I'd rather they didn't have any at all. Anyway, they went on and had me and my younger brother. Total madness!

I've done my duty and sent off the card and present.

slingshotsally and sabrinakat like this.
  3. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

What a pity you regard it as a duty.

4. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

It's a very hard day for me and for all those other women who have been unable to become a mother, whether naturally, with medical assistance or adoption. I am finding it doubly hard this year as my own mother died last year, having cut me out of her will.

5. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

Some people have mothers who were and continue to be very unpleasant.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  6. inky

inky Lead commenter

Its always a poignant day for me.

7. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

Kind thoughts to you both xx

8. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Roll on Father's Day!

Pomz, Lara mfl 05 and slingshotsally like this.
  9. jonkers

jonkers New commenter

Every shop I have visited and every time I have turned on my computer or the television this week there have been constant reminders to treat my Mum for Mothers day. She died last year and I feel really sad and weepy in a way I haven't for months.
    To all of you that still have your Mum, cherish her tomorrow and every day because you have no idea how much longer you will have her with you.

10. annie2010

annie2010 Occasional commenter

Do sad for any posters who have lost their mothers. I can still remember how sad I felt when my mum died suddenly over 30 years ago.
    A lot of the hype these days is borderline in sensitive, especially the unsolicited e-mails.

ScotSEN, BelleDuJour and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  11. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Is that all you're expecting to get? A bread roll? I expect you could use it to try to catch fish with if you ran our of worms.

My sweetheart received a pot of roses this morning which she put on the windowsill. Our cat likes to sit in that very spot and managed to recover his place by picking the ribbon off the pot and tossing it to the dog who chewed it up into shreds, for which the dog got scolded.

The day before Mother's Day is obviously Cat's Day.

12. FormosaRed

FormosaRed Occasional commenter

In which case there is no duty to send cards or flowers. Why be dishonest.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  13. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

Yes, I don't really need annual reminders in the form of TV ads, emailed restaurant offers and store displays that both my parents died after long illnesses a couple of decades ago. Perhaps a "Singleton's Day" ought to be instituted to celebrate unattached people who may be, for example, taken for granted and pressured into working over public holidays such as Christmas because some others have come to believe that they are entitled to the time off for family gatherings and singletons aren't because they "don't have family".

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  14. Calpurnia99

Calpurnia99 Star commenter

I'm looking forward to it. One son's popping over with the kids and the other's taking me out to lunch .

ilovesooty and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  15. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Yes but what can you do tomorrow that you can't do any other Sunday ? I think it 's total rubbish !

16. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I found the most insensitive was "Skype your mother", I had no idea heaven or hell was on-line!

sabrinakat and slingshotsally like this.
  17. vannie

vannie Star commenter

Five years without my mother. She died the week before Mother's Day and her last cards were put in the coffin. I shall paste on my smile and celebrate with my mother in law but it will be a sad day.

slingshotsally and Jesmond12 like this.
  18. FormosaRed

FormosaRed Occasional commenter

This is some boring information but might be helpful to some: Mothering Sunday in the UK is derived from the Lenten tradition of going home to visit your "mother" parish or cathedral on the fourth Sunday in Lent, also known as Laetare Sunday. Workers would return home to visit their Cathedral parish as a sort of Lenten pilgrimage and at the same time pop in say hello to the folks at home. No doubt they'd bring a bunch of daffodils for mother...

It's no big deal.

I'll get my coat...

grumpydogwoman, annie2010 and nomad like this.
  19. inky

inky Lead commenter

20. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I brought my daughter up on her own from the age of 8 following the death of her mum. We hated Mother's Day and it's constant reminders of what we were missing. We used to try and do something special to remember here but it wasn't easy.