1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mother's day - Hallmark holiday, or genuine celebration?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by knitone, Mar 2, 2016.

1. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

I am so very lucky - my mother is completely, totally and utterly fab. However, I do not need card companies to tell me when I should let her know what I think, so I never, ever send a 'Mother's Day' card.
    What do you think?

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

A phone call and when I next see her a meal out... but not any of the merchandise the shops want to stuff down my throat. Literally!!! [jokes]

knitone likes this.
  3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I don't remember it being so hyped up when I was growing up in the 1960s.

I only gave my late mother a card for the last few years of her life, when she couldn't tell me off for wasting money!

4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I'd occasionally give her a 'Mothering Sunday' card as she always gave me the spiel about it being nothing to do with mothers and all to do with the mother church.

My daughters have bought into it despite me insisting it's a load of rubbish. One called last night and said she'd bring the grandchildren over on Sunday. Great. Love 'em. But I detest the whole thing.

cissy3 likes this.
  5. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

That is one of the reasons that Mothers are so great! They don't want you to spend money saying that they are brilliant, they just want to know that they help (or at least mine does - smug face emoticon- )

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

7. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Aw, knitone - I bet your mum secretly wants a card! Are you saying you don't acknowledge the day at all - no phone call, visit, chocs?
    I know we mums don't need a special day to be appreciated, but still...
    Surprise her this year.

8. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

@Dunteachin I do phone- but then I do every Sunday!

9. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

Mum is 400 miles away, but we are bringing her to us due to family crisis :(

10. Dunteachin

My kids are coming to tea on Sunday. I don't want gifts but they want to get me something so I won't argue. I do enough for them!

knitone likes this.
  11. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Hallmark holiday.

Motherofchikkins and knitone like this.
  12. grumpydogwoman

If I want a present then I'll buy myself one.

One has had a new boiler this week. The other had a new Mac. The money only goes one way.

And cards? Ugh. Trashy waste of a tree.

knitone likes this.
  13. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I remember saving pocket money to buy my mum flowers. I saved for ages, but the look on her face was worth it.

I think my two should concentrate on their own families now.

cissy3 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  14. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Me too. I gave up allowing Hallmark, etc to tell me when to recognise my relationship with my Mum when I was 21. As I said to her the first time that she commented on the lack of card, "Am I only supposed to think about you on one day a year, then?"

I never go to see my parents empty-handed: I always take them some sort of offering, even if it's an Aldi fruit tea loaf (I like it, thought they would and so took one) or - as recently - a new washing-up bowl (theirs was filthy)!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  15. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I wish y mum were still here to be able to send a card.... It would have been her 97th birthday tomorrow. My ex mother in law died last year at 97!
    Cards can be nice things to have I know my mum kept them and would look at them from time to time....

16. Dunteachin

What about a home-made card, then? :D
    They meant more to me than shop bought ones.

cissy3 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  17. Dunteachin

I treasure cards and notes from my late mum so that I can see her handwriting: everything about her comes flooding back.

HelenREMfan, cissy3 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  18. grumpydogwoman

GENUINE cards and notes.

Not just because it says so on the calendar.

19. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

It's my Mum's birthday on 23 March - I always give her a shedload of gifts and a special, personalised card (with photos of her grandkids) made on Moonpig.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  20. grumpydogwoman

Eeek! @Middlemarch

23rd March? Also my mother's birthday!