1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Most useless or bizarre piece of Ofsted feedback...

Discussion in 'Ofsted inspections' started by WD, May 13, 2005.

1. A colleague of mine told me about an OFSTED in her former school. The two Reception classes were being observed at the same time by two separate inspectors. The rooms were separate, but both opened out onto a shared role play area. Both inspectors commented on what was happening in the role play area - one though it was great, and the other failed it!

2. Given a 'good' for lesson with Nursery class, when I asked how I could have improved - 'You didn't have to deal with a child hitting another!!!!'

Will have to arrange this to happen next time!!!!

3. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

It would have been better if some of the children were on time.

The ones that weren't here for the starter didn't meet that objective.

And they get paid how much?

4. littlerussell

littlerussell New commenter

I think I win hands down.

PSHE lesson on caring for your teeth.

"It would have been very good, but I am only going to give you good because you didn't mention Jesus."

And that is 100% genuine.

Russell.

5. Littlerussell

D'you reckon he'd come into the wrong class? Maybe it was RE he was meant to be inspecting.

6. Ofsted inspector: "That was a very good lesson indeed"

Me: "What could I have done to make it an excellent lesson?"

Ofsted inspector: "I can't think of anything more you could have done"

So how do you get excellent?!

7. Whingefreezone, I had exactly the same situation. They should at least be able to give us constructive feedback so that we can improve, otherwise what is the point?

Vicky301 likes this.
  8. That is exactly the guidance given to inspectors. Unless a lesson is graded outstanding (excellent under the old system), inspectors should be able to point to one or more specific areas for improvement. Because neither "outstanding" nor "excellent" demand absolute perfection, inspectors might even suggest small points for improvement in a top graded lesson. Remember tho', inspectors are now giving judgements on the lesson not, specifically, the teaching, so factors that have been mentioned such as students turning up late could quite relevantly affect the overall grade.

9. So a teacher's grade is dependent upon events over which he has no control? Taking this to its logical extension, if the roof collapsed the teacher would fail due to the adverse learning conditions that arose.

10. A key change from before is that previously inspectors fed back on the grade they'd given for teaching, whereas now they are expected to feedback on the overall grade for the lesson. Of course, teaching will be the single biggest component in that (and FWIW, so far in all the lesssons I've observed under the new regime, the lesson grade and the teaching grade have been the same) but it is certainly possible to envisage circumstances where the lesson grade might not be the same as the judgement on teaching. I think it's fair to say that the ceiling falling in might adversely affect the overall lesson but would obviously not be a comment on the teaching - except maybe in the class above :)

11. I had this situation recently when 2 students turned up late to a lesson as did a volunteer worker. They all had legitimate reasons but it was me who suffered the conseqences in my grading. This was in an adult basic skills class and the inspecting body was of course the ALI.

I think this needs to be addressed. We all know that there are lots of schools thorughtout the country where teachers are struggling with pupils generally and some pupils themselves are late through inadequate parenting. Those same people often end up as our adult basic skills students and their lives are complex. None of this should have a bearing on a grade a teacher gets it is a side issue. It is quite riduculous and punnitive to suggest that a teacher in any context should be held individually accountable for a students late or non attendence. We all know it is far more complicated than that.

Inspecting bodies need a reality check here.

henrypm0 likes this.
  12. ijd

ijd

for me in the prep school world we did have the independent equivalent of OFSTED...bloody useless anyway they were...not the SS tactics of OFSTED...I recall a maths lesson I was doing for my KS2 Yr 6 darlings...even my head of dept and the school's head told them not to bother coming into the lesson as it was during a scheduled weekly maths test that was part of the curriculum at the time. Thinking I had escaped for a double lesson I duly handed out the papers to the kids and proceeded to do what I always did...go through a spare copy and put my answers in to check there were no mistakes...these were in house designed papers...seconds later this chinless wonder from the Inspection team walks in...fortunately I had a door that could see down the corridoor and was alerted to his arrival...discreetly hid my coffee cup and went to see him. "Do you mind if I observe your lesson?" he asks...somewhat aghast I told him what we were doing, how it was timetabled and that the HOD and the Head had said that no-one would come in. He said,"Well I'll not stay long!"...damn he stayed the entire double period...70minutes...the feedback afterwards was on the lines of "...and not very stimulating for the pupils!"...I pointed out the pertinent facts again, he shrugged, walked away and that was that. In the follow up report a comment was made that the lesson was satisfactory but could have been better...how the hell do you make a maths test better...pretty pictures, pop corn during the interval, some music playing so the kids can dance to if they are bored...I ask you???????????

wonder how my ofsted application is getting on...get paid to sit and watch maths tests...seems easy to me

13. Inspirit

Inspirit Occasional commenter

What feedback????????????????????????????????????

(Is it usual to receive absolutely no feedback on your own teaching during this new system?!?)

14. Inspirit - Ofsted's guidance to inspectors stresses the importance of offering teachers feedback on lessons. This may be brief but it shouldn't be non-existent! It should include points explaining how it might have been better, unless the lesson is graded as outstanding.

15. Thank you everyone. I havern't laughed so much for ages.

16. Not really on the topic.
    What makes people go to the DARK SIDE?

17. NicoleK

NicoleK New commenter

The best eg of crazy feedback was given to my fellow maths coordinator teacvhing Maths in Year 2.

She did a very practical lesson on money- finding totals mentally using coins in a shop role play in pairs. They then developed it to thinking about larger amounts of money and recorded jottings in pairs on mini whiteboards before then going into the plenary.

The inspectors comment was: if they don't write it in books- what evidence would she have of their achievement? She pointed out that after a very practical lesson, she usually followed up the next day with some recording.

He responded: you should take the whiteboards and photocopy them and stick it in their files/books as evidence!

18. With bottom set yr 9 the only room for improvement in my otherwise outstanding lesson was..... The dictionaries, HMI questioned their suitability and accessability for the class. I just agreed but told him that they used the dictionaries so regularly (this is true) that they were more than able!!!! He soon agreed with me :)

19. No the spectres, but my tutor during PGCE. She told me that I shouldn't wear dark colours if I wanted to be a primary school teacher. I had to wear bright colours to get the children's attention. The cow. I was tempted to go in dressed as a clown.

20. kscience

kscience New commenter

Bottom set year 8 (KS2 level3 not one with a reading age over 8). 2nd lesson in microbes topic, introducing yeast: recap bacteria and viruses, demo risen and leavened bread, setting up practical involving yeast and frementation - collecting gas in balloons. ALL pupils writing level 4/5 predictions, pupils levelling each others predictions and explaining how to improve each others work. Some even managed to write correct word equations to explain reactions (level6). ALL SINGING all dancing, no behaviour problems, all kids involved.....bloody rather fantastic I thought (gotta be a GOOD). Lay inspector told me I should have made bread with them!!! and that she didnt really undersatnd what we were doing with all the balloons. PAH

My favortie comment was not to make it quite so obvious that I am amazed at the good behaviour!! I did a HUGE double take when yr 11 put their hands up to answer questions (normally all I get is "dunno" at the politest) I nearly fell over when the hands went up too!!!

>:0)