1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Most unusual place you've fallen asleep?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by catherinaaa, Jan 7, 2012.

1. catherinaaa

catherinaaa New commenter

I always fall asleep in odd places. On the tram to work is a frequent place! I have also fallen asleep in the cinema; in pubs/bars; whilst having my hair done; I used tooften whilst studying as well. Plus the usual offenders- bath, sofa, whilst reading, car (as a passenger though I might add).

2. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Oh, I also fell asleep while having eyelash extensions put on. God knows what the beautician thought of me snoring away and no doubt drooling in Homer Simpson style.

3. At a bus stop in Sloane Square (waiting for a night bus)
    In a bandstand on Clapham Common (I think)
    In a yoga class (well it is supposed to be relaxing!)
    I fall asleep on most forms of transport so regularly I don't count those as unusual!

4. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I once took the train from Kings Cross back to St Albans, a 20 minute journey. I woke up over 2 hours later just coming into St Albans.
    I must have been up to Bedford, back down to Brighton and back up to St Albans again without waking up. I hope I didn't dribble!

5. At a Black Sabbath concert at Malvern Winter Gardens in 1975 (or there abouts)

6. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

You did well!
    At the one I attended at Manchester Apollo - 1977 - you'd have had to be awake to dodge the flying seats.
    [​IMG]

7. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I've never fallen asleep at a gig, but I have fallen asleep in a pub. I awoke to find a whole pile of strangers sitting in the seats where my friends had been 2 hrs before. It was so embarassing.

8. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

[​IMG]

9. Several times at my ex's band practices and in the control room in the recording studio. I blame my hearing problems on that one (Middle range of hearing when there is a lot of noise).
    In my classroom - luckily no kids present at the time.
    Once when driving home from work when I was first teaching. Luckily I hit the kerb rather than drifting into traffic.
    There are times when nothing on earth would keep me awake and I just can't keep my eyes open. Funnily enough I've also had a lifelong problem with insomnia.

10. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

I've fallen asleep all over Europe on my travels, but the best was probably the day that we arrived in Rome and had a huge party, then attempted sight-seeing the following day. After following the tour guide around for a couple of hours we were given free time in which we found the nearest park and all promptly fell asleep - about 25 of us in a massive pile up in the park. I think some Japanese tourists came and took photos thinking we were some strange form of modern art. Bit of a waste of a day in Rome to be honest, but we made the most of the second day.
    Also when drunk another time I decided to make myself some toast. I put the the bread in the toast and then decided to sit down on the kitchen floor and remove my shoes. I fell asleep there and woke up to find the cat snuggled in next to me on the freezing cold tiles. The toast was cold [​IMG]

11. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Brilliant [​IMG]

12. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I fell asleep during my degree ceremony in 1977. In my defence, I was suffering from a viral infrction and my parents had insisted that we leave home at 5 am on the day to drive to West Wales for the ceremony so I was exhausted. I was vaguely aware of my name being spoken and of those around me moving and I managed to rouse myself and follow the queue to the platform. It's all a bit of a blur really. not helped by the ceremony being conducted in Welsh.
    I can nod off virtually anwhere int he day but have more and more trouble getting to sleep at night and staying asleep, even when very tired.
    I've nodded off at ballet performances, operas, rock concerts and on car journeys (as a passenger!).
    When my children were babies and waking in the night a lot, I'd nod off during sex at times!

13. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Yesterday, despite the noise, inside an MRI machine!

14. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

I did that last year too! Mind you, if I've had a busy week at work (what week isn't busy?) I can pretty much sleep anyway if I stay still for a few minutes.

15. A nightclub in New Zealand. The bouncer chucked me out for it as well (I think he must have thought I was falling asleep due to intoxication but I actually don't drink alcohol). It led to a massive argument between my travelling companion and I as she wouldn't believe me!

16. pink_reindeer

pink_reindeer Occasional commenter

I had a lovely sleep at the cinema once. A great way to clear up my hangover!!

17. Some of the locations given above are too common to be labelled unusual!

I think I've done most of them. The only one that was slightly out of the ordinary was on a day trip to York at Uni, the day after a party. My friends decided to go up to the top of the minster and I chose to sit and wait for them at the bottom. They came back to find me dozing happily.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

A nightclub in Guildford.
    A morning lecture at work (hey it was dark)
    Watching a Nativity rehearsal
    Las Vegas airport
    Sure I can think of some more.

19. I fall asleep on most forms of transport but my sister beats me as she fell asleep while riding a horse! (she was only 3 at the time and still sometimes had an afternooon nap but still, she didn't fall off though)

20. I've fallen asleep in many curry houses.
    I've fallen asleep in our sensory room.