1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Most teachers face prospect of no pay rise this year

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Dec 14, 2015.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

2. Gerard12

Gerard12 New commenter

I haven't got a pay rise, although I understand interest rates are at an all time low. When you are paid little though, this makes a lot of difference.

3. JessicaRabbit1

JessicaRabbit1 Senior commenter

I got the 1%. That's it. It amounts to about £30 a month. I have had no appraisal or performance management so have not been told if I will or won't get a performance-related rise.

4. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

My husband's an accountant in the private sector. He hasn't had a pay rise for three years.

5. redlamp

redlamp New commenter

Not much of an accountant then.

Haven't noticed a cost of living increase.

6. Wonderwoman1

Wonderwoman1 New commenter

What about teaching assistants and HLTA's? I earn a fraction over £9 an hour. If I take a class I earn £1 an hour extra. I also have Performance Management and targets to meet with no reward at the end.

harsh-but-fair likes this.
  7. FreeSpeaker

FreeSpeaker Occasional commenter

As someone who entered the profession at a time when salaries were genuinely low compared to other 'civil servants' I find it hard to justifying calls for further increases on the current scale when there are other more pressing needs.
    No teachers, with an average of £30K a year, can claim poverty. If you want more salary, contribute more: e.g. climb the leadership scale where some heads receive in excess of 100K pa.

8. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

While £30k a year is not poverty, it's offering little opportunity for anything other than meagre living in most parts of this country.

drek likes this.
  9. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

There are an awful lot of teachers who don't earn 30k or anywhere near it.

drek and redlamp like this.
  10. drek

drek Star commenter

There are so many teachers facing beng removed from the profession for having a salary more than the newest entries to the profession, that very few will care about whether colleagues get a payrise or not.
    So from the dfe point of view and those managing school budgets, the new strategies and policies governing performance management systems for teachers has worked a treat.
    The headteachers unions are working hard for their members. They have recently complained that a mere70k-100k l, for all that they do is unfair and not enough.
    But then the headteachers union is made up only of headteachers. And they are saving the dfe a fair amount in terms of teaching salaries and pensions and enacting the 2012 policies to achieve fiscal objectves, so from a purely business perspective they are probably right!
    The teaching unions comprise of all sorts, is it any wonder we can't agree on much?

11. jomaimai

jomaimai Established commenter

A flat, in some parts of the country, is more expensive than that. :(

12. Godmeister

Godmeister Occasional commenter

While I understand it is frustrating not to get a pay rise, I do think that many people on salaries nowhere near that of even the minimum for a teacher would probably think that many in our profession are taking the p complaining about theirs. As mentioned above it is quite common in the private sector not to get a pay rise every year, even of 1%.

13. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I did get a rise moving from the state to independent sector and it is sufficient - my husband in IT makes 20K more than me a year (sigh....). There is no way that I could survive as a single parent as childcare is more than our rent (we own our house in Ireland, which is rented out), even with the so-called childcare vouchers and 'free' nursery hours. I have one child and no plans to have another, but in one job (working in TEFL in Ireland), I didn't have a rise the entire six years (2008-2014)....