1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Most marketable subjects for me?

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by Tekko, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Hi
    I'm starting a PGCE in FE in September. My main subject is philosophy. This subject, in effect, gives me two A level teaching subjects: philosophy and critical thinking.
    In my research into FE teaching, I have come across many cases of people teaching A level subjects for which they have no subject-specific qualifications -- they have simply gotten hold of the syllabus and dived in.
    With this in mind in relation to my marketabilty, I am wondering what additional subject I would be best off developing. I have an interest and some knowledge in religious studies and psychology, and my question is this: of these two subjects, which is the most marketable in terms of demand for teachers?

2. Hi
    I'm starting a PGCE in FE in September. My main subject is philosophy. This subject, in effect, gives me two A level teaching subjects: philosophy and critical thinking.
    In my research into FE teaching, I have come across many cases of people teaching A level subjects for which they have no subject-specific qualifications -- they have simply gotten hold of the syllabus and dived in.
    With this in mind in relation to my marketabilty, I am wondering what additional subject I would be best off developing. I have an interest and some knowledge in religious studies and psychology, and my question is this: of these two subjects, which is the most marketable in terms of demand for teachers?

3. In FE I would say psychology. Sociology would also be a marketable one, if you have an interest.

Very few places offer philosophy and RE and if they do it will be a (very) part time post.

4. Thanks hellome