1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Most Lucrative Teaching Jobs?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by centrale, Mar 12, 2019.

1. centrale

centrale New commenter

Can you help? Where in the world are the teaching jobs that pay really well? I had thought that the Middle East was the place to be for great salaries but it seems that, for the past few years, maybe not so much. I have 20+ years experience teaching overseas and in UK. I would like my experience to be rewarded financially and not be paid the same amount as someone who has been teaching for five or six years. The money is not the only consideration though. It would have to be somewhere with a decent lifestyle too. I would appreciate your input.

2. 576

576 Established commenter

Why should you be paid more because you're older?
    Won't you be doing the same job as the teachers with 5 or 6 years experience?

lillyxopq, tb9605, ed717 and 2 others like this.
  3. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

The vast majority of the better, if not all of the better paying schools i know of at least, have a maximum starting point....and thats topped out at 8 years experience.

In the top paying schools it is possible to be taking home $100 000+ as a classroom teacher, plus all the usual benefits......but not as a starting salary at that school.

4. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

China can pay well. Not everyone's cup of tea though.

5. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

High risk locations tend to pay more.
    Very popular places tend to pay less.
    Supply and demand.
    Teaching overseas is generally more lucrative than staying home, but if money is your alpha and omega, a different career might be your simplest option.
    Or do a forum search. This topic has been popular for years.

576 likes this.
  6. ToK-tastic

ToK-tastic New commenter

You need to deduct living expenses from take home salary, places such as HK and Singapore have high salaries but also have high accomodation costs. ME is certainly still very highly paid if you go to a high paying school, and if you're prepared to live like a monk (or nun).
    "decent lifestyle" needs defining if you want a successful search eg Phuket is dreadful for skiing, but great for sun, beaches, food, sailing etc.
    Your thing about age is a little off. International Schools tend to be the same as any other schools: they pay according to position on a salary scale which comprises of experience and stipended responsibility. Age has never been a criteria for pay level in any school that I have ever worked at (nationally nor internationally).

7. SecondPlace

SecondPlace Occasional commenter

Think black gold.

But also remember, as said above, most schools have a maximum entry point so you'll get the higher pay if/when you stay there.

8. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Yuck! This sort of thread on the TES makes me feel sick. If the only thing you really care about is money, then why are you a teacher? Why not stay in the UK, if you are not interested in experiencing different countries, languages and cultures?

Secondly, as this weary old pachyderm has pointed out on this TES forum many times (and ToK-tatsic says much the same thing), those schools that do pay higher salaries are often in the countries where the cost of living is very high. The end result might well be that you could in fact be better off with a more modest salary in a different country, where your expenses would not be so great. Transport is (or can be) a huge hole in the pocket.

When Mr and Mrs Hippopotamus were in Shenzhen, my dear wife became ill and an excellent Chinese doctor said to her, "Your problem is caused by the air pollution." Of course you can earn a lot more in Beijing than in SZ, but all of my friends, both laowai and Chinese, told me that the levels of pollution in Beijing are much worse. But centrale seems to be very interested in money, so maybe he (or she) should go at a job there asap.

9. Millionsandmillions

Millionsandmillions New commenter

Norway! If your level of education is 6 years at HE level including a masters, teacher salary is minimum 73 000 USD for 16 years experience. Which due to exchange rates sound quite low right now, 2010-2017 the conversion would be well above 100 000 USD. The average teacher would get around 4-5000 USD extra per year for various duties (homeroom, PP coordinator, head of student council, subject expert etc.). Also if you dont have 6 years of HE study, the government pay schools 30% of teachers salary to study so that they can work in a reduced capacity, as well as pay fees.

10. bead

bead New commenter

One of the big schools in Kuwait
    4000 gbp per month take home. Free accomodation, free utilities and the chance to make a fortune doing tuitions.
    I have heard of better, but never seen an offer that matches it.

Bentley89 likes this.
  11. dumbbells66

Africa, 6000+ gbp take home, plus all inclusive package. our school did a comparative study of international schools through CIS and Search and we werent even in the top 10%.

12. the hippo

When I was teaching in Egypt, some young teachers I knew were very excited about getting new jobs with very good salaries. They were going to be in Caracas.

ed717, sparkleghirl and gulfgolf like this.
  13. Bentley89

Bentley89 Occasional commenter

Whilst I agree with disliking these types of posts, why do people continue to think that teaching is something substantially more than a job/career, almost a gift to our existence? Its main purpose is to earn us money. Yes, we get more from it, but to think that you have to be prepared to be worked like a slave, on low pay and do it for the love of children and education is really promoting martyrdom. And I hate martyrs with a passion.

Teaching is a job to earn us money.

Aim4Jannah, jpd1903, agcb256 and 19 others like this.
  14. dumbbells66

Bentley89 likes this.
  15. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

Africa is huge! I'm sure you wouldn't get that kind of money in most countries.

16. dumbbells66

no, 4 or 5.... oil is the key, or mineral wealth like south africa

17. the hippo

Very often, going for the big bucks might mean that you actually end up with less, Bentley89, as I have tried to explain many times on this TES forum. No, I am not suggesting that all teachers, especially those with children, can survive on teeny-weeny salaries. My point here is that you need to look carefully at the whole picture and the salary is only one part. For example, in Qatar Mrs Hippo and her overweight husband needed to run TWO cars and the expense wiped out the advantage of a larger salary. Similarly, a megabucks teaching post will not be nearly so lucrative if you have to pay for accommodation and school fees out of your own pocket. In China, we did not need to have a car at all, thanks to the excellent MTR, and this was a major saving for us. And in Beijing, of course, you can make shedloads of cash. Maybe enough to buy yourself a new pair of lungs.

18. tigi

tigi Occasional commenter

I'd have loved to work in Caracas - before the crisis there it was a vibrant and safe city with a great climate plus a language that is fairly easy to learn! What has happened to it now is so sad.

19. HelloWanderlust

HelloWanderlust New commenter

I lived in Venezuela for a while over a decade ago (before I qualified as a teacher) and it was a wonderful experience. There were many problems then of course (and it definitely was a little...edgy), but not like now. Most of my Venezuelan friends were able to leave to work overseas but they all have their families back there and it’s just heartbreaking.

Edited to add: Does anyone know how long my posts need to go through the moderator for? I used to have a different account here but I completely forgot all the details and it was attached to an school email address. I don’t remember being moderated for every post before? Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  20. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

It all depends on context. I took a salary cut of a third from my “old days” very good Chinese package to move continent and now save only very marginally less than I did in China.

I do hear packages are no longer as high in China in many schools now and certainly friends of mine who are moving there next year aren’t on nearly as good a package as I was.