1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moscow or St. Petersburg?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon3372, Mar 15, 2012.

1. I am planning my annual treat to myself - which city in your opinion is best to visit? (I know...both...)

Will be for a long weekend.

2. Andy_91

Andy_91 New commenter

I suppose Irkutsk is out of the question?

3. Only been to Moscow- which was very nice - you could spend the day just looking round the tube stations!- lots of amazing buildings/ eateries. Was glad I went but don't feel any need to return. However, quite a few locals had actually originated from St P. and general feeling was it was far more cultured and the 'real' capital. Can't really comment on that. Sure either would be fab.

4. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Lake Blaikal, wonderful, dunno CQ do you most want to see
    St Basil's Cathedral with the amazing colours or The Winter Palace, tough choice.
    BTW a student I was teaching last summer lives in Moscow and works in Tourism so let me know and I'll contact hime for you.
    Andy I have a book on Irkutsk and Lake Blaikal given to me by students from Siberia, lovely students and places to visit.

5. I would love to visit Kasan, as a colleague is from there, but it is quite a treck for a long weekend...

6. oh, can you ask him for some tips? Could he be my guide?

7. hmmm, I've found a cruise on the Volga between the two. Very pricy though and not for a long weekend.

8. Taipei101

Taipei101 New commenter

St, Petersburg (My Russian teacher still called it Leningrad) sounds good. In particular the Hermitage Museum (with lots of cats in the basement), the summer palace and Peter the Great's bronze horseman statue etc.

Moscow's red square is interesting because krasnaya (??????? = red) is old russian for beautiful so it's beautiful square.

The cruise doesn't sound like my cup of tea but each to their own.

9. I knew it meant red, I had no idea of the older meaning. Thanks for that - (how did you do the cyrillic?)

I have never been on a cruise, so I don't know if I would enjoy it, but it looks great. Maybe something to do when I am older though ;o)

I am still torn between the two - maybe I need to plan two trips.

10. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Not been to Moscow but St petersburg is asonishing. If you pm me I would be happy to put you in touch with the guide company we used.

11. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Not been to Moscow but St petersburg is astonishing. If you pm me I would be happy to put you in touch with the guide company we used.

12. Thanks - have PMd you.

13. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

for some reason mrs oldy has always wanted to go to st ppetersburg.....not that we have ever got there....so il wil be interested how you found it if you go ...please.

14. blazer

blazer Star commenter

We did two days there last Summer (part of a Baltic Cruise). The place is incredible. Even more so since I got back and I read about the seige of leningrad and sw the pictures of just how much damage the Germans did to the palaces and churches with the bombing and shelling! The restoration is unbeleivable.

15. Having lived in both, I'd definitely go for Petersburg - it is truly stunning, culture and history around every corner and quite walkable. Moscow is interesting too but I've always found it very intimidating as a city. The museums are great - house museums of Tchaikovsky and Pushkin, fascinating war museums, the bridges, the White Nights, the cemetaries... Moscow is good, don't get me wrong, but I'd recommend Petersburg like a shot. Make sure you get on a tour to visit the palaces as well - Peterhof is the most popular but I like Tsarskoyo Selo as well, and Pavlosk has a gorgeous park. (Sorry, getting carried away...)

16. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Like crunchie, I have lived in both and agree that, for a long weekend, St Petersburg is probably the best one to visit. Nevsky Prospekt, the main street, is a good starting point for exploring the city, as many of the major tourist attractions are on or very close to it. There are lots of nice, reasonably priced little hotels as well. Not sure when you're planning on going, but if it's during White Nights (mid June) then be aware that it will be very busy.
    Places to visit:
    Peter's Walking Tours (google them) - a four hour guided walk of the city, very friendly English speaking guides, a great way to orientate yourself in the city.
    The Hermitage - also known as the Winter Palace; lots of wonderful art and amazing rooms.
    The Church on the Spilled Blood - decorated inside and out by mosaics.
    St Isaac's Cathedral - climb up to the roof for a stunning view across the city.
    Peter and Paul Fortress - on one of the islands across the Neva River; the cathedral in the centre of the fortress is the burial place of the Russian tsars.
    Yusupov Palace - in the city centre but somewhat off the beaten track for tourists; well worth it for its fascinating interiors.
    Alexander Nevsky Monastery - one of the four highest ranking monasteries in Russia; very atmospheric; some famous Russians are buried in its cemetery (Tchaikovsky, Dostoyesky, Borodin, Mussorgsky, etc).
    Boat trip on the canals during the day, or at night you can go out onto the river and see the bridges open, which I highly recommend.
    Peterhof Palace - outside the city, but easily reachable (I went over by hovercraft, which was cool, but you can also just go in a bus or on a guided tour); wonderful grounds with amazing fountains (May-October).
    Tsarskoe Selo Palace - outside the city, but again easily reachable (by bus, train or guided tour); more impressive interiors than Peterhof (IMO), including the famous Amber Room, but not such exciting grounds.
    You won't manage all that in a long weekend, but it gives you some food for thought. Feel free to ask or PM me with any questions :)

17. Brilliant - I think I should take you and crunchie as my guides [​IMG]

18. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

This sounds amazing. We've got nothing booked because of imminent arrival 2nd grandchild and supposed house move and feel something is missing this year. An exciting holiday to plan would fit the bill.

19. madenglishgirl

madenglishgirl New commenter

Moscow was wonderful - I would go back there in a heart beat! I spent 3 weeks there as a student and 2 months in Siberia...now that's the REAL Russia!

20. mmmmmaths

mmmmmaths New commenter

That's sold it to me! Now how would I get there from NW UK during the school Summer Holidays?