1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

mortgages

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by german_1, Jun 17, 2019.

1. german_1

german_1 New commenter

Did anyone successfully get a mortgage while on supply? If so how long did you have to prove your income for?
    We have a substantial deposit but I have only just started supply..........

Thanks

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Never tried to do it on supply, but I know usually mortgage companies want to see evidence of regular income and at least 2 years of accounts for anyone self-employed.

Marshall likes this.
  3. BTBAM85

BTBAM85 New commenter

They tell you that it's possible, but I had a shocker trying to get this to work.

Your agency will need to provide evidence for your building society, like sending you your contract (if you don't have it already) and also stating specific details in a cover letter. Have you ever asked your agency for a favour? It's unpleasant isn't it? So that's a big problem, as they won't do that for you. You can ask and ask and ask and they will never do it.

I ended up leaving supply teaching so I could get a mortgage. You can always go back, but honestly being on supply until you find a school that you like and then going full time there is pretty okay.

pepper5 and agathamorse like this.
  4. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

5. ABCCBA123321

ABCCBA123321 Occasional commenter

Never managed to get them to take my income into account at all when we were applying for our mortgage - managed to get a tiny house in a cruddy area on my partner's income alone.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. JJ83

JJ83 New commenter

I did it 2 years ago no problem!! I was VERY surprised!!

pepper5 likes this.
  7. Pippapee

Pippapee New commenter

I got one from the Teacher's Building Society whilst on supply. They said they understood the issues and I got one with no hassle. This was quite a while ago, though!

Happyregardless and pepper5 like this.
  8. Skiver

Skiver New commenter

What company did you use?

pepper5 likes this.