1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mortgages for supply teachers?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by missnelms, Mar 15, 2020.

1. missnelms

missnelms New commenter

I'm no longer a teacher anymore - I successfully changed careers into steady office job. However, my husband is a supply teacher, which seems to put us at a disadvantage for a mortgage.

Any of you managed to get a mortgage as a supply teacher, and if so, where did you go?

2. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

Try a mortgage broker? I can PM you the one I used when I was on Supply (and on my own!)

missnelms and pepper5 like this.
  3. elvispenhaligon

elvispenhaligon Occasional commenter

Not these days. It's a volatile market and they'd rather you were on a till on NMW than doing something patchy.

You could show them your "accounts". It's unlikely though. But you can rent all day and that counts for nothing

4. JJ83

JJ83 New commenter

Yeah I changed mine twice on supply, first time to halifax and second time to coventry building society

missnelms likes this.
  5. missnelms

missnelms New commenter

Yes please!

6. missnelms

missnelms New commenter

How long ago did you do this? I've heard that rules for lenders have changed recently. When did you apply and were there any restrictions or hoops to jump through?

7. jjnwsci

jjnwsci New commenter

I changed mine last year from interest only to repayment, but had to go through the process as if I was getting the mortgage for the first time. I’m with Santander. Their criteria required me to show my previous years’ income and also a letter from my teaching agency to prove I was in a long term placement. It was a difficult and very long winded process. It is doable, but nerve wrecking at the same time. I had tried the Halifax but they refused point blank because I’m a supply teacher!

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  8. JJ83

JJ83 New commenter

Last summer ano no none! Just normal process

9. frederico

frederico New commenter

I got a first time mortgage just before Christmas, I have been working supply for years and love it. There isn't any reason why you shouldn't. Ours was was with Nationwide

10. shakes1616

shakes1616 Established commenter

It's too risky having a mortgage on supply. If you lose your job, how you going to pay it?