1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mortgage advice

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by fstevenson, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Hi

I wonder if anyone is in the same situation and can give me some advice

I am currently working in a secondary school my contract is due to end in August 2012 (hopefully it will be extended but depends on the woman I am covering for maternity leave) my partner is in a full time permanent job outside of teaching.

I was wondering if anyone knows if we would still be able to get a mortgage if he is on a permanent contract and I am on supply? If so which mortgage companies?

Many thanks

Fi

2. Hi

I wonder if anyone is in the same situation and can give me some advice

I am currently working in a secondary school my contract is due to end in August 2012 (hopefully it will be extended but depends on the woman I am covering for maternity leave) my partner is in a full time permanent job outside of teaching.

I was wondering if anyone knows if we would still be able to get a mortgage if he is on a permanent contract and I am on supply? If so which mortgage companies?

Many thanks

Fi

3. Hi, I'm in a simillar position to you - on a maternity cover which has been extended and probably will be again. I can't get a mortgage. We've tried everywhere. All the banks etc will only look at my husbands salary and not mine because I'm on a temporary contract. To top it all - they're classing me as a dependant! Good luck finding anywhere that will consider your salary for a mortgage, if you do find somewhere let me know!

4. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

Check there is not a "or the early return of the post-holder" clause in your contract. Many teachers "return" from maternity leave on the last day of the school term (i.e. end of July).
    Also, I think that there are good reasons not to get a mortgage when on such uncertain terms.

5. I recently remortgaged as a PGCE student.
    Although my income was classed as £0, we were surprised how much was granted
    based on my husband's salary alone, and we just about scraped what we needed.
    It was quite a formal process and I got the impression the manager's instinct
    and support had a fair bit of influence over our success. For borderline cases
    it's not a simple "computer says no!" anymore. This was with HSBC if
    it helps. Try lots of places though as we found there were huge differences between lenders'
    attitudes, linked to their current business strategy on mortgages. We got a
    great deal once with Santander as they were fighting to make a success of the
    name change from Abbey. A few years later they didn't want to know! When we did
    the deal with HSBC the manager admitted they had a huge internal drive to sell
    more mortgages at that time, which I’m sure helped us. Good luck!

6. We encountered a similar problem. However it was the day AFTER our offer on our dream house was accepted (I was also 6 months pregnant!) that the bank phoned us with the news that they had changed their minds about giving us a mortgage because I was on a temporary maternity cover contract. I wish you lots of luck! X