1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mortality

Discussion in 'Personal' started by southwalian, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

which is of course the greatest need.
    My Mum always expected to die before my Dad (having had heart trouble for nearly 25 years now) and I think she is finding it tough on her own. I suspect, although she hasn't said anything, that she feels like you about the Cup of Oblivion.

2. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I'm currently in that 50 something zone between parents' generation passing away and my generation not yet starting. I commented to a family friend the other day that I hoped the next time we met at a church was for something happy. I was looking at a video of my Mum's surprise retirement party about twenty years ago, and so few of the older generation who attended are still around today. Losing both my Step-dad and Mum to cancer within seven months of each other and only six months after their first diagnosis certainly got me thinking about mortality. The conclusion I came to was just get on with it and make the most of every day - none of us is born with a warranty, and this isn't a practice run.

3. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

I find that the growth and development of my children has the unexpected side effect of reminding me daily of my own mortality. I don't know why I have become so aware of this lately - maybe it's because I will be 40 in a couple of months? Who knows.
    I'll go with that.

4. I'd have to agree with Hitler, that once you have heard Tristan und Isolde death no longer holds any fear.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

What pretentious tosh.

6. anteater

anteater New commenter

I don't even know what that means! Does it mean that once you've heard it, you've had the ultimate experience in a "see Rome and die" sort of way, or does it mean that it is so awful to listen to that you'd be better off dead?

7. I think one is better off dying before listening to Wagner!

8. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

As a child of about 6 or 7, I remember talkingh to my dad about death. He told me that there was absolutely nothing to fear as it was the one thing that united all people and there wasn't a darn thing myself or anyone else could do about it or evade it. I stopped worrying at that momemt. After all, my dad had never lied to me before (as far as I know-OK, Father Christmas and the Tooth Fairy notwithstanding).
    My sister never had this conversation and is terrified. I told her what dad said. Not sure if it made a difference.
    The one time I felt totally at sea was after my daughter died. I felt I had no 'foot' in the past as both parents had died, and no 'foot' in the future as my lass was my only child. That felt really scary! I have a deep faith and believe I will see them all again. I know some folks would laugh at this but hey, it's my belief!

9. gruoch

gruoch Established commenter

I was younger than you when I watched my husband die. It took away my fear of death completely.
    None of us, I think, fears death - what we fear is dying. My husband's life in the months before he died were not good - he had rampant cancers - but his actual death was no hardship to either of us.

10. Death no longer scares me. I just hope it won't be painful. The only pinge I feel is that I will leave folk behind who love me. But they will cope, just as I have. Death is part of life.
    I remember reading a quote a while ago - everybody wants to live to be old, but nobody wants to be old.
    That, plus losing a lot of people within a very short space of time (regulars will probably remember my numerous posts), made me reassess.
    I vowed to enjoy and cherish life now, as I have no idea when it will end. And of course, I want to get the chance to become old. And I hope then, that I remember that I promised now, to enjoy it and not wish I were younger again.

11. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

That for me sums it up pretty well. Death is inevitable and the one certain things in life. But it's just the process, especially if it's long drawn out and painful.