1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mortality Rates

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by sbf, Nov 10, 2011.

1. sbf

sbf New commenter

Clearly we havnt worked to 68 but there are figures for working past 60, i.e. 61,62 etc.

You might be right about the death in service benifits except they will probably get rid of them too, that way all the public sector workers will be paying off the national debt on our own.!!!

2. gnulinux

gnulinux Occasional commenter

It can only be a matter of time before a teacher drops dead in front of a class. It might be a statistical 'fact' that people are tending to live longer but that is no doubt in the peace and quite of a comfortable and early retirement. In the highly stressed environment of a modern school and working way beyond 60, that is another matter entirely.

3. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

Surely the salient point is that the UK govt is minded to impose this change without any evidence concerning its impact on mortality? In other words, they could not care less if teachers die.

4. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Established commenter

No no, on the contrary. The government would much prefer if every teacher reached retirement and keeled over the following day, along with their partner.

5. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

but it's not just us! I get really annoyed with some of my teacher friends when they talk as though no other profession is suffering. My brother's father-in-law (60+)has worked manually on a building site all his working life - his body is wrecked through hard physical graft, he has a lousy pension deal and no choice but to carry on for the next 3 years; my graduate engineer son (27) has no pension deal and can barely afford to pay into a private scheme and finally, I have a "friend" (45) who skips between low paid jobs without a care in the world as she knows she will receive her old age pension.
    I hear what is being said but does everyone have to be so angry? [​IMG]

6. cobalt54

cobalt54 New commenter

A fellow teacher of mine some years back had worked inside the SED administration and said that the life expectancy of a teacher who retired at 65 was just under two years. He also said that for every year below 65 he/she retired the life expectancy doubled.
    He had been warned by his SED chief not to go into teaching, but he obviously ignored that advice and was a well respected teacher. Unfortunately he decided not to retire at 58, as had been his intention, but to stay on one more year; that was the year he died.
    The teaching unions must have access to up to date figures and should publish them.

7. Retire at 65 = life expectancy 2 years = die at 67
    Retire at 64 = life expectancy 4 years = die at 68
    Retire at 63 = life expectancy 8 years = die at 71
    Retire at 62 = life expectancy 16 years = die at 78
    Retire at 61 = life expectancy 32 years = die at 93
    Retire at 60 = life expectancy 64 years = die at 124

Sorry, I think it breaks down somewhere.

8. sbf

sbf New commenter

60 looks like the age then :eek:)

9. I retired at 55 so should live to around 250! I've certainly got a life now - I recommend it to anyone, even if you are broke. The Teachers' Pension is not nearly as good as we are led to believe.

10. subman68

subman68 Occasional commenter

<font face="Calibri">It is a myth that if a teacher retires at 65 they will die within the next few years. There was a study done recently that reported this year. Sorry to say the thing that will keep you alive is a good diet, general exerciser and keeping busy.</font><font size="3">Sorry to kill the story that we will all die if we work to 68. For my 2p worth I just don&rsquo;t feel the classroom is a place for someone in their 60&rsquo;s very few in my school are up to it now. I think that is more the issue. We should have a standard and good pension at 55.</font>

11. subman68

subman68 Occasional commenter

Mabye if I work till I am 70 I might get TES to print something without the typeface going mad???

12. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

He-he Subman!! Nice to see you are still around! [​IMG]

13. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

Staff room snap in a few years ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/images/clip/p00j5qcr_640_360.jpg

14. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

There was an item about this on "More or Less" in the summer:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01kt7d3
    Basically, it's nonsense - neither retirement age nor your job (in a way that can be separated from your lifestyle) have a great impact on your life expectancy.
    Those retiring later will still have a shorter retirement, though.
    I'd also be interesting to see a study of cognitive decline, and whether people can still be effective in their jobs at 68.

15. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

So would I. But a study will never account for the individual.