1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Morrisons Wow!

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by PlymouthMaid, Jun 1, 2012.

1. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

I have just been into our local Morrisons for the first time in months and their fruit and veg section is now amazing. Loads of 'ethnic' veg such as 4 kinds of aubergine, fresh turmeric (!!!) , 10 varieties of mushrooms, 4 types of courgette and stuff I never knew existed. It is all beautifully displayed on chilled counters. I must have been wandering around in there for 40 minutes.

2. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

I have just been into our local Morrisons for the first time in months and their fruit and veg section is now amazing. Loads of 'ethnic' veg such as 4 kinds of aubergine, fresh turmeric (!!!) , 10 varieties of mushrooms, 4 types of courgette and stuff I never knew existed. It is all beautifully displayed on chilled counters. I must have been wandering around in there for 40 minutes.

3. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

We've had a new Morrison's opened near us and are going tomorrow. I'm ready to be impressed as I've always found Morrison's to be a bit **** in the past. All this talk of a completely revamped image and wildly new ranges of produce have enticed me.
    Is it sad that we are actually planning a day out with the focus being a visit to a new supermarket? We are, in our defence, going for a long walk along the seaside and having lunch at some point, but the main intention is to go to Mozzas on the way back. We're not sad, are we? Please reassure me!

4. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Yes, I've noticed all this fresh, exotic fruit and veg too.
    I've always liked Morrisons for the fresh fish and they often stock meat that is hard to find such as ox kidney (essential for steak and kidney).
    Their fresh flowers and plants are good value too. 6 geraniums for £2, or 12 for £3.

5. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

They are good aren't they!
    I think there was a thread about this a few weeks ago....it would appear that Morrisons are revamping all their bigger stores. Ours was done a few weeks ago - and I love it!
    Some of the more 'exotic' fruit/veg is a little expensive. But it is a joy to be able to get them.
    Most of my 'everyday' veg comes from the veg box system...and I am delighted with Riverford! But at Morrisons I can get plantain!...and okra...and eddoes....When I showed Mum she was gob-smacked an started planning one of her far-famed curry feasts (...well you didn't think my showing Mum the goodies was purely altruistic did you?!!)

6. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

We went to a different Morrison's instead, over the other side of town at the start of the New Forest so we could tie it in with a lovely walk in the Forest and a visit to the Farmers' Market which sadly is a shadow of its former self (although still picked up some nice bacon and eggs, a beautiful, rolled piece of pork shoulder and a huge bag of beef stock bones).
    This Morrison's hadn't had the jazzing up that some seem to have but there were still some impressive things there. Picked up a few things you don't always see in supermarkets such as: ox kidney (ta for the tip-off Belle), langoustines, brawn, turmeric, galangal and beef shin.
    We bought a few standard things as well and have to say that we were impressed on price but the general standard of the produce didn't seem great. The meat looked very average, especially the beef. Booze was well priced though.