1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

MORNINGTON CRESCENT

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by tafkam, Jun 12, 2007.

1. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Paddington

(No i didnt... what were you saying?)

2. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Cardiff

Tafkam - It amazes me how anyone could find my name rude!

4. tafkam

Cardiff?

Well, I suppose you could allow that by invoking the rights of the fourth Marquess to "go mainline", but if you're going to make moves like that it's polite to explain it.

Unless anyone else objects I'm going to say that we allow the move, with a caveat about future such actions.

Meanwhile:

READING WEST

5. Hmmmm, 1985, you say...

Does that make HEATHROW TERMINAL 4 null and void?

Given we've taken a mainline diversion I think it's a valid play.

6. tafkam

Erm, don't know... will consult my manual... hang on...

7. tafkam

It appears that Garden performed almost that exact move, although in reverse to take a game INTO mainline diversion. Given that we want to return from 'md', I'd say it must be permissible.

8. tafkam

Oh, and I'll play

PARSONS GREEN

9. Sloane Square, is the next move there I think.

10. Cardiff???? Cardiff????

Have looked it up and the only time that Welsh mainline move has been played was by A J Phipps (minor)in 1939, just before the outbreak of war. Given most of his fellow players were being shipped off to Europe, the move was allowed. This as far as I know is the only time a 'compassionate' sideline diagonal has been sneakily allowed in. Later (according to Squireway-Greene Rules, circa 1951) this mainline diversion (derailment) HAD to be preceded by a three line express move. Garden employed this tactic.

So, (and it's taken me half an hour to figure this out) if this time we allow Cardiff....and cleverly, tafkam immediately played Reading West to counter....I'd follow Wibble's Sloane Square with the only possible move...

Bromley by Bow.

11. ChilePhilly

ChilePhilly New commenter

Phipps....a great player of the Great Game. He played with Blandford and Carnall, and they developed the Sideways Shift which is common in 1945 Rules, I think. Never played that move myself, as it has to be followed by a Three-way Terminus which I've never really got the hang of. Bet tafkam has, though. Oh, the memories.....

Right, where were we?

Bromley by Bow? 1985 Rules, simplified Version? Okeydoke then...

BANK

12. Bromley By Bow followed by Bank? Cunning, but I can se the trap... you're trying to bring in Aldwych, aren't you? Not a ghost of a chance! Are you ready?
    NORTHERN HEIGHTS! Hah!

(Been up all night working that one out).

13. ChilePhilly

ChilePhilly New commenter

Do you know, I read that as Northern LIGHTS - my first thought was Finnish Rules, and I was poised to play the Enska Move to Helsinki North...

ST PANCRAS

14. Belsize Park.

15. tafkam

I have played the three-way terminus in my time, it's true - but I think that would be a bit much this early on in a game.

So...

CAMDEN TOWN (King's Cross Line)

16. stockwell

17. tafkam

HAINAULT

Do I need to declare which direction?

18. invincible

invincible New commenter