1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mornings only and after school staff meetings etc.

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by cherryontop, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Hi!
    I have searched through previous threads and am still a bit unsure about the rules regarding this, so thought I would ask here.
    I am planning on returning to work part time and have been offered a morning only working pattern (so a 0.6 contract). This means that I will have to arrange childcare for mornings only (i.e. a morning only nursery place or possibly nanny-share scheme). So, the question is do I still have to attend the staff meetings after school (usually 1 per week) as they dont technically fall on my 'part' of the working day? Or, do I have to attend 0.6 of the meetings, and somehow find some alternative childcare and have to travel there and back twice in one day?

And, what are the rules regarding parents evenings and twilights? And also INSET days? This is a bit of a nightmare!

Thanks to anyone that can shed some light on this for me [​IMG]

2. Hi!
    I have searched through previous threads and am still a bit unsure about the rules regarding this, so thought I would ask here.
    I am planning on returning to work part time and have been offered a morning only working pattern (so a 0.6 contract). This means that I will have to arrange childcare for mornings only (i.e. a morning only nursery place or possibly nanny-share scheme). So, the question is do I still have to attend the staff meetings after school (usually 1 per week) as they dont technically fall on my 'part' of the working day? Or, do I have to attend 0.6 of the meetings, and somehow find some alternative childcare and have to travel there and back twice in one day?

And, what are the rules regarding parents evenings and twilights? And also INSET days? This is a bit of a nightmare!

Thanks to anyone that can shed some light on this for me [​IMG]

3. I work a 0.5 jobshare, two full days, and one morning. The staff meeting takes place on my half day, so I do not attend - my job share partner fills me in. Regarding INSETS, I have to do half of them. This year, two of them have fallen on days I do not work, but was obliged to attend. I ended up paying £90 a day childcare, (2 kids with a childminder) times two, and not getting paid at all. The parents evenings, one falls on my day, so last term, I did one, and the job share partner did the other. However, I felt this was not very succesful, as I could not comment as well on the areas she teaches, and vice versa. The next one, we will both do both nights together. We should get paid, but can't see school paying us!!!! It is so hard to try and organise childcare etc. We do not have any family near by, so can not just 'pop' in!
    Hope you settle back into school OK!!
    Bunnyrabbit

4. Your school cannot insist that you attend INSET days if they are on days when you are not working. If you were employed elsewhere on those days you would then be having to disrupt your work there to accommodate school. Same with Staff and Parents' evenings.

5. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Occasional commenter

And I think union guidance is that you should be 'invited' to attend those Insets that fall on your non-working days and if you decide/are able to go you should be paid for the day.

6. Hi
    Thanks for the replies so far. I understand that union guidance says that you cant be made to attend INSET/ meetings etc on non-working days, but what about a day where you work mornings only? Where would I stand?

7. The same principle. Your working day finishes at lunchtime. There is no contractual obligation for you to return. Schools are never clear on this sort of thing and they should be. Your union will have this written down somewhere. If your school rep is unsure, contact your regional office. Get it cleared up. I faced a similar situation and had colleagues telling me I had to attend meetings. I researched it for myself and they stopped making unreasonable demands.

8. Thanks Alfie, so it seems that I will not have to attend after school meetings. How will this work with parent's evenings?

I have spoken to the union rep at school and he could not give me an answer, and I want to have some idea off my rights/expectations before I see the head teacher.

9. AdmiralNelson

AdmiralNelson New commenter

If your Rep doesn't know, contact the local/area/regional office to get a definitive answer.

10. There are caveats, but according to STPCD
    62.9 Subject to sub-paragraphs 5 and 10, a part-time teacher may be
    required to carry out duties, other than teaching pupils, outside school
    sessions on any day that the teacher is normally required to be
    available for work (whether the teacher is normally required to be
    available for work for the whole of that day or for only part of that day).

11. I work mornings only and have to attend half of the staff meetings, normally every other week. This means I have to pay for 2 childcare places for the full day and I get paid for half the day.

12. Well the rules is the rules, be they fair or not and the STP&CD extract is correct. The exemptions are fairly limited.

13. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Except you may have another job in the afternoon and be unable to attend.

14. adsa

adsa New commenter

Here is an extract from the NASUWT guidelines for part-time teachers.

<font size="2" face="QuaySansEF-Book">Part-time teachers cannot be required to attend school on days or parts of days on which
    they do not normally work. This applies equally to the 190 teaching days and the five nonteaching
    days in the school year. A part-time teacher can attend school on non-teaching
    days they do not normally work, by mutual agreement with the headteacher and these
    should be paid.
    <font size="2" face="QuaySansEF-Book">In arranging meetings and other activities outside of school sessions, headteachers should
    try to minimise &lsquo;trapped time&rsquo; (short periods of unpaid time between contracted working
    time) by structuring timetables as far as possible to accommodate working patterns.
    However, if a part-time teacher works on a day, morning or afternoon on which there is a
    parental consultation meeting in the evening, the school may direct the teacher to attend.

Hope this helps x
    </font></font>

15. adsa

adsa New commenter

oh and this,
    <font size="2" face="QuaySansEF-Book">Agreement on which non-pupil days will be attended should be reached between the
    teacher and the school at the start of the school year, bearing in mind that part-time
    teachers cannot be required to be available for work on any day of the week, or any part
    day of the week, that they are not normally required to be available for work under their
    contract of employment.
    and in the case of job-share -
    </font><font size="2" face="QuaySansEF-Book">Only one job share partner at any one time should be required to attend meetings, parental
    consultation and non-pupil days. Job sharers cannot be required to attend on days when
    they are not normally available. However, if they are asked and agree to attend, additional
    payment should be paid.
    </font>

16. Union guidance is simply that, guidance; not rules or the law. It is their interpretation and spin - if one is being less than charitable.

17. adsa

adsa New commenter

If you read the document you refer to...only a small part of this refers to statute, whilst the rest is 'guidelines'.

18. adsa

adsa New commenter

As a 0.5 job-share I have to be present at 0.5 of parent consultations. Think you'd be the same...