1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Morning timings

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by SpideyClaire, Mar 15, 2016.

1. SpideyClaire

SpideyClaire New commenter

What time in the morning do you assume you're not going to get any work that day and make other plans? It's been six years since I've done supply and I'd forgotten how annoying it is wandering around the house with my phone waiting for a call from 7am.

2. Fraccy

Fraccy New commenter

I've had calls as late as 11AM. But, for me, most tend to be between 7 and 9.

3. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

I generally know that is unlikely to get a booking after 9:00. I have had some late morning calls, but they are rare.

4. PizzoCalabro

PizzoCalabro Established commenter

Mostly pre-booked - on mornings I have no work I have asked my direct schools to call me before 7.30 - yesterday had a call from one at 7.05. The agents tend to call around 7.20-7.50. At 8 I assume no work, so make other plans.

5. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

I have also had calls late in the morning for an afternoon's work, however its not common.

If I haven't heard by 09.00 I make other plans but don't really expect anything after about 08.30.

6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I used to hate waiting for the call - don't know about you guys. I really only did day-to-day for about three months but that was enough for me.

7. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

In the mornings, I generally get a call between 8 and 8.15 from my main agency. The other agency (which pays less) annoyingly calls me anytime from 6.45am which is irritating on a few counts:

1) I'd rather work for the 2nd agency who pays more but calls later
    2) I don't really want calls at 6.45am as I can get up at 7.30 and be ready by 8 which really is just right for getting to any school in the area on time.

8. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Eva

I am impressed you can get ready so quickly. Does that include eating breakfast and making your lunch?

I work at a school just a few miles from my house, it have to leave super early or otherwise get caught up in traffic.

9. PizzoCalabro

PizzoCalabro Established commenter

I always have lunch and work clothes prepared and the bag packed, so if they call or don't call, no matter.

10. SpideyClaire

SpideyClaire New commenter

I've got my emergency Pot Noodle and cereal bar on standby in my supply bag (-: