1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Morning Tasks!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by bimboedder, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Hi All,
    In my school every morning we set up a morning task for the children to complete in their morning books when they have been dropped off in the classroom (and wehen we are usually finishing off our morning meeting we have).
    I am moving into Yr5/6 this year and wondered if any of you had any suitable ideas for activites or websites which offer good activities!
    We usually try and do literacy, numeracy or PSHE activities!
    If anyone has ideas I would be very grateful!

2. Hi All,
    In my school every morning we set up a morning task for the children to complete in their morning books when they have been dropped off in the classroom (and wehen we are usually finishing off our morning meeting we have).
    I am moving into Yr5/6 this year and wondered if any of you had any suitable ideas for activites or websites which offer good activities!
    We usually try and do literacy, numeracy or PSHE activities!
    If anyone has ideas I would be very grateful!

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

4. imc

imc

5. pooped

pooped New commenter

I subscribe to Good Morning Children but there are also some trial ideas on there.

6. Thunks are quite good. There are a couple of Powerpoints on TES but other resources out there too. Just Google 'Thunks' :)

7. Hi there.
    On my final teaching placement in Year 5/6 class there had to be morning activities each day. The class teacher alternated between Literacy and Numeracy each week. So 1 whole week of Literacy morning activities then the following week would be Numeracy then back to Literacy etc.
    Each table would have a different morning activity to do but each day they would do a different one that another table had done the day before. For Literacy there were wordsearches on worksheets/spelling tests in pairs - chn to select spellings from each other work books and just other activities worksheet based mainly.
    One numeracy example includes working in pairs and testing/timing each other for how quickly they could recall times tables on their whiteboard.
    Basically, the way it was organised was extremely effective. A simple rota was created, printed off and laminated so the children (if they couldnt remember) would simply look at rota by the morning activities (put out on top of trays in front of classroom) look for the day, their table number and then check which activity they should do.
    However, "thinking key questions" did brighten up the Literacy morning activities. Google "thinking key questions" - they can be used to promote chn to think creatively and outside of the box. There was a lot more chattering but it was based on the actual activities and not what they had been doing the night before.

8. Hi All,
    my school do morning activites too.
    Does anyone have any good activities that I could do with year 1 children.
    Thanks [​IMG]

9. GARDEN24

GARDEN24 New commenter

My year 1 love a word on the board such as Habitats, rectangle, ourselves, or whatever we are learning about and they have to make words out of it - we have a daily challenge to see if we can beat our best - try to save the word with the most till Friday !! Also helps to embed the topic word.

10. I draw a circle on the board separated into segments with a vowel in the middle - children have to make as many words as poss using as many letters as poss - all words must include the middle vowel. The letters all make an eight or nine letter word and there are house points if children are able to make the BIG word - the HA love the challenge of finding the big word while the LA are happy making cvc words.
    Also display an image from google images sometimes from a well known cartton and ask children to list adjectives for the picture or write speech bubbles for what the characters are saying or thinking.
    We also do something called a sentence stretch - write a boring sentence on the board "the cat sat on the mat" children underline nouns in one colour and verbs in another.
    Now S T R E T C H the sentencee.g.
    The grey cat sat on the mat
    the fluffy grey cat sat on the mat
    the fluffy grey cat sat quietly on the mat
    the fluffy grey cat sat quieltly on the fireside mat
    HA add extra bits - the fluffy grey cat at quietly on the fireside mat while its owner sipped a hot cup of tea.