1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

morning sickness and time off?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by katejfranklin, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Hi all, I'm after a bit of advice please. ..I'm currently 11 weeks pregnant with my first baby and for the last 3 days I've been sick every 2-3 hours and can't keep water or food down. I'm sat in bed waiting for the out of hours GP (stupid bank holiday) but wondered where I stand in terms of having time off school for sickness??
    Do I need to be signed off?

Thanx Kate x

2. all sick leave in pregnancy is treated under your normal terms and conditions so behave as you would if you were off for any other reason than pregnancy. you need a doctor's note after the first 5 days, and you will be paid in the same way as you would if you were off with say bronchitis.

3. Kate,

If it's pregnancy related it won't count as absence in the normal way

Ask your friendly also pregnant Union rep! x x x

4. oh if it doesn't go away, they can give you medication to control it. i was vomiting at least 4 times a day and constantly nauseous until 14 weeks when i went to my GP and asked for something to control it. after that i only threw up a few times and had tolerable nausea rather than it being overwhelming....

5. Congratulations for a start - please do not do what I did.
    I was throwing up constantly from New Years Eve until May (was not pregnant for the first bit) and I mean constantly could not get through a lesson without being sick - was running out to be sick - kids got on with their work and ignored me if I ran - I did not have one day off! I was absolutely stupid!
    please look after yourself
    x

6. thanks for the responses! I have taken medical advice and am now on anti-emetics for 14 days to control sickness and spent 2 days in and out of hospital threatened with drips and stuff. . .
    I bowed to pressure from my husband and made the decision to stay off school for the rest of this week to get my strength back and try to get some kind of normal eating pattern back again :)

7. Good :)
    Feel better soon x x