1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

morning meetings before school begins

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by pippalennie, Oct 14, 2015.

1. pippalennie

pippalennie New commenter

Does anyone know if we can be directed to attend 8am meetings?
    Thanks

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Depends what your school hours are. I knew a school that started at 8am so the staff had a briefing meeting at 7:50.

On the other hand, if it's a department meeting or whole school then I can see a case being made for a one off, say Ofsted is coming in and your school is unprepared and run by the panicky type.

If it's a regular meeting timetabled at that time, which is whole school I guess the Head can argue it is directed time... but consultation with the Union might be necessary and see if your colleagues feel the timing is appropriate.

3. dangerfield1k

dangerfield1k New commenter

I work in an academy and we are told to attend a weekly meeting thirty minutes before the school day begins. Can we be told to do this?

4. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

If its part of directed time - yes. I work in a school that has two whole staff briefings a week at 8am.

I am thankful I no longer work in a school that had five!!

5. dangerfield1k

dangerfield1k New commenter

Our contracts state a start time of 9am.

6. purplecarrot

purplecarrot Senior commenter

Depends on your hours.
    I'd question the need for 30min meeting before school so regularly. That's the time when many people want to feel ready for the day.
    Ask for the directed time calendar.

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Might that not exist in an Academy . . . .?

8. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Most schools I've known do have morning briefings and they can be valuable to pass on info / raise questions issues to do with students. Yes we did have them at 8 o'c for 8:30 starts but had time to go to our classroom to prep afterwards.
    Ours, at my present school are just for the 10 mins before school starts , so we've had time to prep our rooms and as it's a 'new innovation at this particular school, it seems to be helping make everyone aware of any notices or particular students..

9. e_rift

e_rift New commenter

10 minutes before the start of the school day and 10 minutes at the end are directed time so say you have a 10 minute briefing before lessons - it would be counted but 30 mins? However, academies do what they like so I wouldn't be surprised.

10. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

We have three morning briefings a week starting at 8.15 for 15 minutes. The children come in at 8.45am. I start directed time at 8.15am so that staff can attend.

11. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

One 30 minute meeting per week does not seem too unreasonable. Neither does the time, many outside teaching start shifts at 6am or worse. Unfortunately if you are a youngster (NQT?) and an 'owl' chronotype, you will just have to get used to the fact its not Uni any more and you can't stumble out of your halls at 8:55am into your 9am lecture! Or if you have kids, send THEM to school earlier once a week!

12. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

No wonder Cameron wants every school to be an academy. :mad:

13. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Are you in an academy or LA school pippalennie?

Directed time rules under STPCD only apply in LA schools (or if an academy has voluntarily adopted them or you are protected by TUPE). If an LA school then in principle there can be an 8.00am meeting as long as it's within 1265 hours. Look at the directed time calendar.

Otherwise an academy can have whatever rules it likes about attending meetings as long as it's in your contract of employment. Things like staff handbooks are often incorporated into your contract.

Where does that rule come from e-rift? It's not in STPCD

14. e_rift

e_rift New commenter

It all depends on the time budget of the school. I worked at a school who wanted to extend the AM/PM directed time and our school rep had to go through the time budget.

Also taken from NASUWT:
    NASUWT Representatives and members should ensure that consultation on the annual calendar and time budget includes the so-called ‘buffer time’ at the start and end of the school day. If this is directed, it is included in the time budget.

15. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

To play devil's advocate, what if the children's school or creche doesn't open so early? Last year, I knew I would have to leave the house by 6.45 am to catch a train to work (arriving at 7.50 am) - all the creches opened at 7.30! I opted for a brilliant childminder who could take him at 6.45, but changing the rules in the year (even in the beginning of term) seems a bit unfair on parents with children and to have them change their childcare in such an arbitary fashion. [I was at an academy, and my contract stipulated that I had to be there at 8am, we started registration at 8.10am, most meetings were after school and with a few days' notice, I could let the childminder know (I stayed two afternoons a week for another hour or so, just to do revision or be available)

16. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Most crèches/nurseries I know open at 7am. I think if there was a genuine case where there was simply no crèche open early enough, then one would have to go to the school/academy and just explain that they could not be there for the meeting and if there was any way of a 'buddy' passing on any info? (as must happen for part time staff?) Obviously any incursion into actual form time/teaching would be more problematic.

Less sympathetic types would of course say live/work closer but as a fellow live miles away from where I work person, I would not put myself into that 'less sympathetic' group. Although there must come a point, if you say live in Nottingham and teach in London you have a serious issue with how far you have to commute!