1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Morning calls...help!

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by ysafder, Oct 4, 2015.

1. ysafder

ysafder New commenter

Hi Guys,

I am an NQT and I haven't secured a job for this year as I'm planning on moving cities in Jan so wanted to be flexible until then.

I am registered with a couple of agencies and they ask me to ring them at 7am every morning to ask for work. I wanted to know if anyone knew what the etiquette is for ringing multiple agencies at 7 and saying you are available that day. If I ring just one, and there turns out to be no work then I've lost out that day but if I ring multiple agencies and I get call backs from more than one, is that a shady thing to do? What do I say ?

I want to increase my chances of getting work that day but I don't want to pee off my agency. As I am new to this I am not sure what the accepted thing to do is. Surely they know people are registered with more than one agency?

Anyway, as the work picks up I am just wondering if anyone had any advice for me. I am new to the forum too so I hope I am doing this right.

Thank you for any help and I hope work picks up this week for everyone!

Yasmin

2. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

A problem I've had with early morning calls from agencies is that these often get cancelled between the time you leave home and arriving at the school. Some schools arrange for supplies to be sent as a back up and then find that they can cover the absence internally.

ysafder likes this.
  3. Jenexell

Jenexell New commenter

Ask if the agency will accept an email instead. Then all at once send an email (put the email address in the BCC box) to all of them each morning. First one to contact you gets you. Its what I did. Never had a school cancel on me, but I have to admit, it can be a real bear when you accept the first one, and one offering a higher rate calls 5 minutes later. Good etiquette however is to stick to the one you've already agreed to.

ysafder likes this.