1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Morning call from agency

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by SamK25, Dec 14, 2015.

1. SamK25

SamK25 New commenter

Hi all,

I'm considering switching from perm to supply and trying to learn more before taking the plunge.

Can someone advise me what time of day do supply teachers usually get a phone call to notify them of a vacancy? I've heard that most calls happen between 6am-730am before that school day. Is this also your experience? Or do you usually get more notice than that?

Many thanks!
    Sam

2. Twinklefoottoe

Twinklefoottoe Senior commenter

Don't use agencies then you can make your own arrangements. See recent threads.

3. Dd89

Dd89 New commenter

Hi Sam
    Firstly, why do you want to switch from Perm to Supply?
    If the answer is because you think it will be an easier job, I am sorry to disappoint you, but it is just as hard if not harder. Supply teaching requires a very multifaceted skill set and is no way taking the easy option.
    Of course, this depends on your subject.
    You need to go into supply with the awareness that it is becoming vastly much more competitive, as full time teachers are leaving in order to undertake it. I would not recommend switching unless you have a second income or a very good back up plan.
    Good luck anyway, and wish you every success.

4. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

My agencies ring me between 7 a.m. and 9 a.m.

Sometimes Imget prebooked work so I know where I am going in advance, but much of it is on the day calls.

How much supply work you might get is based on what subjects you teach, how strong you are doing general cover, where in the country you are, how good your classroom management skills are and how well you get along with people. The single most factor I would say is where you are in the country. The east and south seem to have plenty of work whereas the midlands and north east not so much according to what people post on here.

I do agree that supply is sustainable if you have a partner's income to help and/or a second job or business.

5. sebedina

sebedina Occasional commenter

my agency usually calls me from 7.00 onwards up to 9.00 am. Mostly 7.30 am onwards actually. I have been mainly working for the one agency although I am registered with two. I have heard it has been quiet. I do other work to supplement my income. Supply work is difficult as each school is very different.

6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I always hated the wait for the early morning phone call whwn I was on supply. The second after you'd given up for the day it would ring.

7. teacha

teacha Occasional commenter

I personally never do morning calls and only do pre booked work, but I guess that it's up to you. I have already been booked for nine days in January, but as pepper says, the availablity of work does depend on where you are in the country.

8. PizzoCalabro

PizzoCalabro Established commenter

Earliest 7.03.
    Mostly now pre-booked with direct schools, but have 'trained' my agencies to call early if not pre-booking.