1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Morning breaks

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by C49, Oct 2, 2018.

1. C49

C49 New commenter

Hi all,

Is it ok that one TA has been asked to regularly miss her Tea Break ( which I know is a curtesy) to support a child but all the other TAs in the school can have one.

Feeling a bit singled out. Already only having 30 min lunch breaks to provide additional support.

Luckily I have a very supportive teacher and we are arranging alternative times for me to have a quick toilet break.

Just feel like it’s unfair if others are still getting a full break. Rant over is been a long week already and it’s only Tuesday!

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Tricky one. It is difficult and can make you feel singled out if it's only you. None of our TAs have a tea break; they are all expected to be on playground duty with their key stage every day. Comfort breaks are 5 minutes before playtime. Many also only have half an hour lunch break as they do lunch duty or clubs - but that's their choice. It's good that you have a teacher who understands that you do need a few minutes break! Is this a child that you support 1-1 through the day? If so, then there's not much you can do. If the child is not your 1-1, would it be possible for you or your teacher to talk to the SENCO or TA line manager and see if there's someone else you could share the playtime role with? So that you only did it for, say, three days a week.
    I do know how irritating and frustrating these things can be, but try not to let it become a bigger deal than it needs to - if you enjoy the job, like the school and the staff you are working with - there's a great deal to be said for that!

Trekkie likes this.