1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Morning and Night Milk Feeds

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by letterboxred, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Just wandering when the early morning (approx 7am) and night feeds (approx 7pm) milk feeds are dropped?
    Baby is 1 years old. Have you left it to the baby to drop the feeds?
    Baby feeds for ages so I assume still needs it. Worried still breastfeeding for ages esp. now has teeth and sometimes 'chews' me?!
    Any advice greatly appreciated!

2. Just wandering when the early morning (approx 7am) and night feeds (approx 7pm) milk feeds are dropped?
    Baby is 1 years old. Have you left it to the baby to drop the feeds?
    Baby feeds for ages so I assume still needs it. Worried still breastfeeding for ages esp. now has teeth and sometimes 'chews' me?!
    Any advice greatly appreciated!

3. Hi,
    your'e doing well. Mine is 1 and is still feeding in the middle of night. She is bottle fed though so at least its quick.

4. kittenmittens

kittenmittens New commenter

I can't help with breastfeeding as my daughter has been bottle fed, but she is 1 year this week and I've just switched to a cup and cows' milk a week ago from follow-on formula in bottles. She has a cup of milk morning and night but hardly has 2oz, whereas she had 7-8oz per feed on bottles. She has upped her food intake to compensate which is great, but I'm a bit worried about her liquid intake as she isn't drinking much more water and is missing out on lots of milk. I offer it, but she isn;t interested anymore...she doesn't cry or fuss when presented with the cup but doesn't drink much either. I now give tea at 4pm and dinner at 6pm to make sure she won't wake up hungry in the night.
    I think babies drop their milk at their own pace, your LO is still getting lots of goodness from breastmilk so this sounds fine. You could try increasing the food portions and see if your LO is feeding for longer? But, it's impossible to know how much they are taking when bf-ing and the milk does change its consistency to suit their needs as they grow.
    Hope someone else can help with bf advice x

5. LBR my LO is now 13 months and am still doing 2 or 3 breast feeds per day. I've posted on another thread about dropping feeds but I'm not really sure how to go about it, same as you really. I'm thinking I'll try dropping a morning feed first, and offer milk in a cup, tehn do the same in the afternoon, but keep the evening feed for as long as she wants it (within reason :)). I don't really know.
    I get chewed too :( and sometimes her teeth just rub which is uncomfortable. After being properly bitten a few days ago, she's seems to have stopped that now and my poor nip is recovering!

6. My lo is 21 months and still breastfeeds morning and night (and during the day too if she can get away with it). She's ill at the moment and has actually been fed 2am, 4am, 6am, 8am, 9am, 10am. My emergency babysitter then arrived so I went to work at that point or she'd have carried on all day.
    I don't think there are any rules or expectations about when to drop those feeds, it's what you and lo feel comfortable with. If you do want to drop them I would do as moonbeam said and try dropping the morning one first.
    Biting - I had that problem around the one year mark, but she soon stopped. I used to take her off and relatch a minute or so later whenever she bit me, I'm not sure if that helped or if she just grew out of the phase.

7. kittenmittens

kittenmittens New commenter

Just an idea, but when I dropped milk feeds going from 5 milks a day to 2 gradually, I replaced the feed I was dropping with a yogurt the first day so there was something milky in its place. Rice pudding would work too.

8. Thanks everybody for all your helpful tips!
    Kittenmittens - love the idea of giving yogurt on the first day of dropping feed!