1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Morning and afternoon warm ups?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by thereasonwehaveliddedcups, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Hi, NQT here. I'm looking for a good source of warm up activities for when the children come in in the morning and after lunch. The kind of thing they can get on with whilst they settle in and I take the register. I'm in year 3 :)

2. Grandsire

Grandsire Senior commenter

My settling activities rotate between handwriting (good for getting them quiet), mental maths questions, writing a couple of sentences, times-tables activities, dictionary searches, and French vocabulary activities. I also put warm-up challenges for them to do on a whiteboard (no marking!). If nothing else, quiet reading! It helps to have a timetable so they know what to get on with if I'm caught up dealing with a playtime problem after lunch.

Pomz likes this.
  3. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

In the mornings I put up a 'morning task' on the board. Many of the same things Grandsire mentioned.

If there isn't one on the board, the children know that means they get their reading book out and quietly read.

Pomz likes this.
  4. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Check this site out. There are some cool activities on here...

http://www.estimation180.com/