1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Morning and Afternoon Nursery Sessions - Equality of Experience?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by jocomerford1, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Having read some interesting posts on this forum, I wonder if any nursery practitioners could spare some time to offer some thoughts for my dissertation. I have been researching equality of opportunity in nursery education, in relation to morning and afternoon sessions. My research has shown the main factors affecting equality to be socio economic (parental choice of session, attendance and punctuality, parental attitudes to education), closely followed by child fatigue. If anyone has anything to add or would like to comment I would be most grateful.

2. I sometimes think my fatigue has an effect- by the end of the second 3 hour session I'm getting pretty exhausted (a 30 min lunch break isn't always long enough to recharge!)
    Also, we run as a Foundation unit, but as Reception are in all day they sometimes forget that morning and afternoon need to be the same in terms of provision. Reception often have much shorter outdoor time in the mornings due to assemblies and things, and the areas managed by the Reception staff can't be made available to my class. We have a massive outdoor area and you can't cover it all with one person, so if we open outside on our own we can only use a small area and a fraction of the resources.

3. Thanks very much. There has been a lot of research on teacher fatigue but none of my respondents mentioned it, which I found unusual having worked in a foundation unit myself. Resources isn't something I have mentioned as yet so that's really helpful. I found the turn around tough in terms of fatigue AND reorganisation of resources to appear 'fresh'.

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

My head employs someone to come in clean up and resource areas over lunchtime so staff get a break

5. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Established commenter

Are you just looking for school nursery experiences or across a range of providers?

6. I've had to concentrate on school nursery as I only have 10000 words and there are so many issues to discuss but I have mentioned wraparound care and full day provision in relation to fatigue.

7. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

We have a FS Unit with the nursery only operating in the mornings. I love our mornings with the nursery children, but as the F2 teacher, I think I'd find a parallel afternoon session really difficult. Our afternoons are much more relaxed and there is more time and space to get 1:1 and small group work done.