1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Morning activities

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by loukachu, Nov 2, 2011.

1. I am trying to set up some activities to run for about 30 minutes at the start of the school day. At the moment students are supervised as they come in but have no structured activities.

I am hoping to set up some activities in the hall for students to engage with as they come in so that they start the day settled - I work with students who have ASD and Aspergers and feel that we need this in place so that students can be settled from the start of the day rather than trying to manage unstructured time while they wait for tutor time.

Any ideas?

2. Hi,
    I am unsure of the age/stage/ability of your pupils but my current class have severe ASD. At the start of each day we put out a number of activities for them to play with and use a different theme each day (technology, construction, sensory, small world, fine motor). I find this works really well as we have quite a high pupil/staff ratio and as the support staff begin at different times it means that the children are all settled. The staff members who start early are free to focus on a child who may need it that morning, model new activities or move round the children as everyone else arrives. I just make sure that I know appeals to each child is out for the theme and introduce new and different activities for them to access.

3. At the school where I work, select pupils with autism/Aspergers take part in what they call Sensory Circuits as soon as they come in-this is a series of deep pressure activities that help to calm them and get them in a relaxed state for their lessons that morning. Otherwise, every student has a bag on their chair with jigsaw puzzles, toys and favourite books and they have a half hour period of these activities before the "Hello" activity/songs. It's not overly structured but they seem to like it. I work in a school where 90% of the students are on the autistic spectrum, most of them on the severe end, so it might work in your school too.