1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Morning activities

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jackie3, Jan 6, 2011.

1. I have been known to use Good Morning Children if I run out of ideas!

http://www.goodmorningchildren.com/index.asp

There is a 30 day free trial, but you have to pay after that, I think it's between £10 and £20 per year depending on whether the school pays or not!

2. skellig1182

skellig1182 New commenter

We practice handwriting, although it's KS1.

3. I teach Y6 and often use the time for children to check and correct work, practise their times tables with a partner, do topic/vocabulary based word searches, quick grammar worksheets and also resort to Good Morning Children sometimes when short of time. Ideally something that doesn't require marking!

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

How about doing Thinking Keys? I made a PowerPoint presentation with examples of most of the keys and displayed one on the board (choosing a different key on rotation to keep interest) when time needed to be filled. Children worked on whiteboards - not in books - so no marking generated! Worked well with Year 5 - they were always enthusiastic.

5. eek, may sound stupid now, what are thinking keys?

6. Picture on the whiteboard, write a description of it (if stuck - the Windows wallpaper samples can be quite good for this)
    I use one day a week to get them to copy down their spellings.
    Target numbers - ways to make 24 or whatever (can be "incentivized" if you wanted - get over 5... merit or whatever)
    Who can make the most numbers using 5 2 6 3 and the four operations type things
    Unit conversions - how many ml in 4.25 L and the like - just a set of questions along those lines
    Times tables squares to complete
    The old chestnut of how many words can you make from the letters in...
    Write a description of your ideal bedroom
    Make a list of 10 things you want to know about (new topic)... to be used later in the day
    Also I would use the time for anything annoyingly lengthy admin-wise you needed for later in the day - so if I was going to be using a table for a traffic count in Geography or whatever, rather than lose half of that lesson with the table-drawing saga or just constantly giving them photocopied blanks - I might get them to do that during the morning registration time as well
    Book review of the last thing they read
    TV report on what they watched last night
    I'd also get them to do things like updating spelling logs (in the way my old school used to do them) or similar during this time as well, and occasionally just let them choose a book, First News paper or magazine to read as well.

I do supply and quite often have to think up these things in 10 seconds flat as no one's told me the kids are used to having one on the board - they're the sort of standbys I tend to resort to.

7. Great ideas from all, thank you.