1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

More uniform madness

Discussion in 'Education news' started by blazer, Sep 7, 2017.

1. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I wonder if they will be so keen to exclude when a kid tells a teacher to **** off?

2. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

When I went to a grammar school, in Slough, our blazers had the badge embroidered on the breast pockets, while our sports and PE vests and shorts had a smaller, simplified version. Our trousers were of the high-waisted, battledress type. Needless to say, all these were only available from the 'approved shop' at a fairly steep price. If some schools have gone back to this arrangement it would seem to be an attempt to 'socially engineer' the intake by price, and make a fat pile of cash.

3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

When I was on the SLT of a grammar school (more than 10 years ago, though) parents could buy either a blazer with a badge, or just a badge, and a cheaper blazer from a supermarket, and attach the badge. Both were equally acceptable.

4. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Established commenter

Of course they won't because they didn't say it to SLT. Why does every term start with these waste of time battles. Frequently academies trying to look tough and generating press. We all know there are more important things which help the learning. They way young people behave in the workplace would be a far more important life skill.

Missbubbleblue and peggylu like this.
  5. zizzyballoon

zizzyballoon Star commenter

No power on earth would have ever persuaded me to wear trousers, Don't like them, Have never worn them. I despise people like this headteacher, Who does he think he is?

6. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Boys in skirts, LOL. I'm all for free expression but it would be a brave lad indeed to don a skirt in a boys' school....

7. Mrsmumbles

Or just irredeemable bells.

peggylu and theworm123 like this.
  8. Mrsmumbles

I see a sixties-style Student Protest Stripoff in the offing! Maybe in the summer term, when it's less chilly...seriously, these eejit managers want to look to their own red tape here, trimming it back beforehand it bounces back and throttles the lot of them. Now they WOULD make great headlines...'Students Strip Against Academy Uniform Shocker!'

9. Mrsmumbles

They should just have the badge and school insignias on freely available iron or sew on patches. That is all that is required. I had to sit through possibly the most boring lecture last year from a uniform maker who delighted us in assembly by telling us all his he'd made it.he had secured the new uniform franchise with the school, you see, and I suspect part of the new arrangement was that he for th exhance to trumpet his life story to these unlucky students. Possibly a child of his was at the school. The whole thing was awkward and seemed an insulting waste of assembly and inset time. It was also sew boring....(sorry)

peggylu likes this.
  10. Jolly_Roger1

@FrankWolley: I was a student at this grammar school, so we are talking late 60s, early 70s. It was one of those places that tried to dress itself in the trappings of a public school of the fictional sort you found in the 'Magnet'. We had different blazers for the lower and upper school, as well as for the sixth form. Not long before I went to the school, there had even been a 'summer' blazers, in a light grey colour, as opposed to usual 'naval twill'. As you went up through the school, blazers accumulated more silver flashing and edging until we looked like a battalion of the Waffen-SS.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  11. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

:D

galerider123 likes this.
  12. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Yep. It's all about power and control.

Missbubbleblue and theworm123 like this.
  13. num3bers

num3bers Occasional commenter

I sometimes wonder what planet I have lived on all my life. I fail to understand these running battles over school uniform. It seems rather petty and possibly a result of too much regimentation.

When I was a kid I remember my uniform with fondness, not least of all because it was a relief to know what I had to wear and not to worry about not having the "right" ( latest, designer, best, prettiest, most fashionable or be bullied and laughed at) . The uniform was a great leveler and I cannot recall anyone not simply wanting to look smart , well dressed and
    "attractive".
    ( now had you mentioned make up or hair - yes there were a few girls and boys who found it hard not to live within the rules.)

Our uniform was straightforward - "Royal" blue cardigan or jumper and what passed as royal blue did vary but was accepted. Many of us did not come from wealthy families and there was no supplier or school shop with designer wear. The skirt ( girls)/ trousers(boys) were dark grey , again there never seemed to be a problem. Blouses/ shirts were white. In years 7 and 8 girls skirts had to be pleated , from year 9 up, you could have a straight or A line skirt. But no one wore over tight or over short skirts. I think we all had too much pride and respect for ourselves for that. Only "fast" girls wore anything not of uniform type and none of us wanted to be seen as "fast".

Blazers were Royal Blue and there were a couple of shops you could get those from . Badges and ties were bought for small amounts from the school. ....... I recall my clothes mostly came from British Home Stores or Littlewoods ( showing my age there). M&S also did similar uniform and the colour was pretty stable across all shops ( just like it is in supermarkets now) Girls wore 3/4 length white socks or could wear flesh or black tights. Black shoes.

The thing most of us got picked up on was PE uniform , which did cost a bomb and many of us had PE kit which was made for another school ( no logos - it was slightly lighter colour that identified it) because our own was well - naff.

None of us seemed to rebel or have on going issues on uniform. I certainly do not remember ( and I am sure I would) the emphasis then there is today. We all took pride in our appearance even in a uniform and I cant recall anyone wanting to look like they were working or dressed for clubbing etc.

I do despair. I send my kids out dressed correctly, why cant others?

Mind you, teachers are worse. Where I work most teachers cant look tidy and well presented if they tried. We have a dress code but it is flaunted by most of the female staff . If the HT had the b*lls about that that he and the senior mistress have about kids uniforms, standards , I could see half the staff sent home to change or buy a suit even!

The world has rules. If you turned up at Tesco and didnt wear their uniform or come in clean and tidy you would be out on your ear pronto.

peter12171 likes this.
  14. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I went to Grammar school in the 1960s. We had to wear a grey gymslip/pinafore dress with a white blouse & tie in the first year, and then a plain grey skirt in subsequent years. We wore a woollen blazer in winter and a beret (the 'stalk' had to stay in place). In summer we wore a striped cotton dress, cardigan and straw boater with shirring elastic under our chins to keep it in place. Grey knee-length socks in winter and white ankle socks in summer.

In the 6th Form we were allowed to make our own dresses. The school purchased bolts of paisley print material in three main colours and a selection of Butterick dress patterns, and sold them on to us. Most of us made our own dresses but some families had to pay a dressmaker.

We were allowed to wear tights but my mother thought tights were the work of the devil as they allowed girls to have shorter hemlines that "enticed boys and men to lewd thoughts and rape", so my sister and I were kitted out with suspenders and stockings instead. I used my pocket money to buy tights and kept them hidden at home. I had the airing cupboard in my bedroom so could stash the wet tights behind the hot tank to dry. I washed my unused nylons and dried them in plain sight.

15. Jolly_Roger1

Our blazers were made out woollen material and they used to stink like the clappers when they got wet. These horrible, ridiculously old-fashioned brace back trousers were made of the same material, were very uncomfortable to wear, and were abominably hot in the summer. They also had button flies, which made them extremely inconvenient, in the conveniences. With up to thirty boys in an over-heated classroom steaming nicely, we generated a reeking fug that made concentration on Caesar's Gallic Wars even more difficult.

16. palmtree100

palmtree100 Lead commenter

The blazers, with their padded shoulders, look pretty awful on kids if you ask me. A smart shirt and jumper or cardigan should be enough surely. Even teachers don't wear blazers/ suits in most schools.

17. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Senior commenter

Our local high school has a cheap but unattractive uniform. The only things you have to buy specially are ties and a blazer badge, which is pretty good. Everything else is black or white and can be bought cheaply. It's convenient but hideous. In the summer they have house polo shirts in four colours with the school badge on, and they look lovely, really fresh and smart. I don't know why they don't ditch the vile polyester blazers and get sweatshirts in the same house colours. They'd be cleaner (who ever washes a blazer? - yuk). Having said that, they have no uniform issues. Any trousers or shirt with a collar are acceptable. I don't s see the point of schools getting so het up over uniforms, but some parents appear to go out of their way not to buy the children the right things.

We fostered a boy for a few days who went to a school that is part of a MAT. It was an awful place, very confrontational and like a prison only without the nice bits. I hated him having to go there. He'd had an awful life before he came into care and it felt as if they were punishing him for that rather than helping him. He was a really lovely boy, in spite of the problems he had. I saw this school on the local news last night because they have decided to put all their effort, which could have gone into helping children and having a bit of compassion, into telling girls that the school trousers they had bought at the supermarket were not 'school' enough, and that if their shoes couldn't be polished then they wouldn't do. What a complete waste of time and an utter distraction. I took a look at their website. The word 'outstanding' appears all over it, yet their recent Ofsted was 'Requires improvement'. Says it all really. I despair.

Missbubbleblue likes this.
  18. Pomz

Pomz Lead commenter

So true. Why do they do this?...

19. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Senior commenter

And then they say,'I've bought these trousers, I'm not buying another pair,' as if it were someone else's fault.

I was done over by a school as regards uniform. They had a preferred supplier so off we went and were told which trousers the school would accept, and bought those. On her first day the girl (fostered) came home and announced that she was never wearing those trousers again as everyone else was wearing the supposedly banned close fitting ones. So that was £40 wasted because the school claimed theyonly allowed one thing when they actually allowed another. The school is one of the Wakefield Trust's failing ones.

20. install

install Star commenter

Time for teacher and headteacher uniforms methinks :eek::eek::eek:

'Heh we could all use the left over MacDonald ones for all staff and students . We are a business you know....and it would save money.....' :p