1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

More uniform madness

Discussion in 'Education news' started by blazer, Sep 7, 2017.

1. blazer

blazer Star commenter

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

On R5Live this morning there was a phone in even more heated than yesterday's on Brexit about this topic.:D

Personally I don't see why you can't say girls (& boys if you want) can't wear skirts or trousers as they wish!

4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

It feels as if a number of schools have forgotten the purpose of uniform.
    For a mainstream school, uniform is an overt sign of conformity with the rules. It needs to be practical, affordable and easily purchasable for those ripped trouser moments.
    I am in favour of straightforward basics for things like trousers, socks, shirts and skirts, so that a parent can go into most mass market clothes shops and get them. If the trousers are not all the same shade of black, the child will not stop learning (unless some person with insufficient admin decides to put them in detention).

5. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Senior commenter

But if you don't have expensive uniform items how will you keep the riff raff out?

6. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Lead commenter Forum guide

I don't get why a school uniform that has trousers for boys and girls is "madness". How many of the girls routinely wear skirts outside school? None if the schools round my way (and my daughters and their friends) are anything to go by.

wanet, galerider123 and lizziescat like this.
  7. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

it's about the very short skirts isn't it. The head is probably sick to death of doing battle with girls who roll up their skirts at the waist to an indecent length. I have sympathy with him. I never taught in secondary so don't know what it's like in school but the girls coming out of our local secondary wear their skirts extremely short. You can imagine the day he cracked and said "Sod this for a game of soldiers they can all wear bloody trousers!"

8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

9. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Occasional commenter

Some of the more extreme uniform policies don't seem to have any connection with the real world. I can't think of a business that would say the staff had to purchase their own work clothes and then say someone couldn't enter work if their trousers came from an unsanctioned shop and so were the wrong shade of grey.

10. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

The policy of giving pupils a lanyard to indicate they have been spoken to about their uniform strikes me as very dodgy. Mind you, it's probably already a badge of honour.

galerider123 and hammie like this.
  11. maggie m

maggie m Occasional commenter

I'm certainly sick of very short skirts. A colleague pointed out to one offender last year that the resulting roll of fabric made her look fat. Definitely insensitive but by God it worked

12. MrMedia

MrMedia Lead commenter

Just did a double take this morning. Trotting along to the local school were all these female students in faux 50s style private school skirts. Only I know this school and it serves a pretty ordinary townie cachment. Mind you, they turned into an academy two years ago so now all the parents have had to buy these expensive faux private school looking clothes. (The boys had some form of grey and black get up retro get up also.) So, basically, what is happening is that academies are 'pretending' they are like private schools by adopting the retro-garb. Eventually, I imagine, private schools will start adopting alternative dress codes to distinguish themselves from academies. For example, what if private schools started to remove the uniform requirement and went to the international school non-uniform requirement so that wearing a 'faux uniform' actually marked you out as a townie at an academy? The world of academies is just a playground for egos.

13. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Oh that's appalling ( tee hee! )

14. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

It's ridiculously expensive.

My dog-walking lady. Her son's (perfectly ordinary) academy used to allow blazers where you sewed on the badge. Now you have to pay a fortune for a blazer with badge sewn on. WHY???

I just bunged my daughter £40 for uniform for her two. It wouldn't cover it, of course. Nowhere near. They're 9 and 6!

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  15. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Established commenter

Once you've peeled away all of the fluff from the edges, the story is simple.

Instead of boys = trousers, girls = skirts or trousers, it's now boys = trousers, girls = trousers.

The school is quite within its rights to set whatever uniform policy it likes. Girls will have always been aloud to wear trousers anyway, so I don't see the problem.

16. MonMothma

MonMothma Established commenter

What do you say to those girls who didn't have to wear trousers and now have to wear trousers?

17. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Will they wear skirts for PE or will the school make them wear shorts?

18. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

I can hear the internal screaming beginning.

If I had a £10 for every pastoral meeting I've sat through, silently losing the will to live, as uniform or shoe style/type minutiae' was discussed and debated.

Hours and hours of my life I will never get back. :(

IMG_1463.JPG

19. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

sort of sums up our education system at the moment. loads of time wasted on things that don't improve learning.

20. theworm123

theworm123 Lead commenter

I'm for all school uniform, but I think when you're removing pupils from a school for the day for the most esoteric of reasons like shades, the management are most likely megalomaniacs who get off on a sense of micromanagement.