1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

More than one cat to China from Europe

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by palaeolithic2005, Nov 19, 2018.

1. palaeolithic2005

palaeolithic2005 New commenter

Will be teaching in Qingdao next year and I'm planning to take my two beloved cats with me - I read everywhere that only one pet is allowed per adult passport, however, I also read elsewhere that some people have taken more than one pet into China with no trouble at all (without the use of any expensive pet relocation companies and filling in the paperwork themselves). Guangzhou seems to be one of the pet-friendly airports which many seem to have used to take more than one pet through to China (if you have experience in doing so - how did you travel on to your final destination? caught a connecting national flight with no hassle? I read that taking the train with pets is not possible, neither renting a car as a foreigner), also, if Beijing and Shanghai are avoided, the pets can quarantine at home. Is this correct information? Has anyone successfully taken more than beloved pet into China with a minimum of hassle? Please, share your modus operandi, and any fresh info that might come in handy? (my two cats are vaccinated, chipped, and each have their passport with the required photograph in it, also I'll most probably fly Lufthansa which seems to be pet friendly, and I have the required transport cages). Any info and tips are very gratefully received!

2. walkingfred

walkingfred Occasional commenter

‘Minimum of hassle’ are not words you will often hear in relation to doing anything in China, I am afraid. My cat (one and one only) was in a 6 month quarantine and I could only pick him up once I had my full visa, which can take up to three months to get after arrival. That was three years ago, so there may have been changes, but I know none of our August intake of staff has been able to collect pets yet. Sorry- things involving paper are never straightforward here.

palaeolithic2005 likes this.
  3. Ms_Love_

Ms_Love_ Occasional commenter

As someone who has two cats from the UK who are now living in GZ, I would suggest that the only option is to take a family member with you OR unfortunately you will have to choose which cat you want to take with you. There is no way China would allow two pets on one passport unfortunately :(

One of our cats traveled under my passport and the other under my bf's passport. They were very strict about this at GZ airport. We had to both fill in forms at GZ with our intended address and all the paperwork we got from the UK vet was taken and held by the government (thankfully we chose an apartment before we got there). We didn't need a pet passport though for GZ.

Could one cat be taken by a family member and then be flown out separately at another time to your address in Qingdao?

4. hs9981

hs9981 Lead commenter