1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

More tech help please

Discussion in 'Personal' started by kittylion, Mar 9, 2016.

1. kittylion

kittylion Senior commenter

I only work one day a week and go into 6 class rooms to do my thing! Over the last two weeks, when I attach my laptop to the IWB the laptop screen goes black and I can only see the display on the big screen. Mostly I can manage, but today I wanted to freeze the screen on a ppt slide and then play a sound file and I couldn't.

Tech support is never in when I am and am sure it must be something straightforward - please can someone give me some simple (idiot-proof) instructions? (Pretty please :)).

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I'm no tecchie but when I was a peripatetic MFL teacher visiting different schools I sometimes has problems like this. You're right there is a shortcut, but I think it may depend on how your school is set up, so you may need to ask or even search but it's something like shift and F4 or F5 I think?

wanet and kittylion like this.
  3. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I first encountered this some years ago when I was asked to give a presentation in a university. There were a lot of presentations to fit in and we were each given a ten minute slot to do them in, hurried along by the organiser to be there on the dot and have our laptops snatched from our grasp to be set up by an expert.

I was introduced to loud applause and thankfully had a handful of notes to see me through, but I couldn't see what the laptop was doing and had to keep looking over my shoulder to see what was being projected, which required the constant taking off of my glasses and replacing them when I needed to refer to my notes.

The organsiser appologised at the end of my presentation for letting me down, before rushing me off the podium and introducing the next act.

I found out that afternoon that there are keystrokes to toggle through the display options.

The key sequence can vary depending on the laptop, but is typically one of the following: Fn + F3, F4, F5, F7, F8, F9, or F10. For example, pressing the Fn and F7 keys at the same time could switch between your laptop and external display. The F key to be used may be labeled as CRT/LCD or have a picture of a monitor on the key or close to the key. Unfortunately, the keys pressed to switch displays is dependent on the model and manufacturer of the laptop. Some laptops sort this out automatically.

Most laptops I've had used the Fn + F7 sequence. I hope that helps.

wanet and kittylion like this.
  4. kittylion

Thank you to you both! I did try a few Fn + several F key combinations, but just managed to freeze the mouse, so I had to switch off and start again but I might try emailing the tech support. The trouble is, if I do that then they might want me to leave my laptop for them to look at when they come in in a fortnight's time or similar and I can't really do that as I am only in one day a week. Still, it does look as though it should be something simple.

5. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

What operating system does your laptop use?
    I ask because there are various ways of achieving your aim and usually making it a one click option
    For instance in Win7 you can set up the projector option in your taskbar simply by pinning the setup programme there

Got to your search box in the the start menu, type in "projector" and click enter. It should find the "connect to a projector" option.
    If it does you can right click on that option immediately (not left to open it) and select "pin to task bar"
    Whenever you need it from then on, it is in the taskbar at the bottom of the page

wanet and oldsomeman like this.
  6. Didactylos4

In win8 you just hold the windows key and hit P
    In win 10 I'm not sure as I rarely use it

7. Didactylos4

Naturally @kittylion any of the above only applies to using the IWB as a basic display tool
    If you want to add interactivity other connections and often software need to be utilised but the projector programme usually works well as part of that

8. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Arent you a clever person.I never knew that one and it is there to connect to a projector. Thank you

9. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Right click on the desktop and choose 'resolution'. You'll be able to see which displays are connected to the computer and visually choose the configuration of mirroring the screen, using an extended desktop and seeing it on one display only (which is what must be selected currently)

10. Didactylos4

Not really :oops:
    I found it almost accidentally whilst trying to connect my computer to a tv screen (HDMI) to view videos from my cameras.
    I'd been using the old fashioned display monitors/screen mirroring system each time and had trouble with configuring 1080p resolution in that system.
    The fact that I could have a one click button in my taskbar (win 7) really appealed to my KISS oriented brain :cool:

11. kittylion

Thank you to everyone - I tried a mixture of your suggestions today with success!!