1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

More Tales of the Unbelievable

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by phlogiston, Apr 23, 2011.

1. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Hallelujah![​IMG]

2. As you say it's a faith school- and worship is important. We start every meeting with a prayer and I mean EVERY meeting. When you work at a faith school you do agree to be at least sympathetic to the faith if not a committed Christian- so I can't see why a hymn would bother you?

3. Why stop there. Perhaps sticking pins in a voodoo doll of naughty year 10 students as well. Do you really have so little to do that you have time to waste singing pointless songs etc. Thank god I don't work in a brainwashing school...

4. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

It is as if the Age of Enlightenment never happened.
    How can schools, which are meant to be places which prize rational thought and clarity of thinking, still follow these medieval practices? If you want religion, go to a church, mosque, synagogue or wherever. Just don't indoctrinate children with it in schools.

5. How can schools, which are meant to be places which prize rational thought and clarity of thinking, still follow these medieval practices? If you want religion, go to a church, mosque, synagogue or wherever. Just don't indoctrinate children with it in schools.

The parents CHOOSE to send their children to a faith school and therefore accept what it is about..otherwise they should send their children elsewhere. Same with the staff- if they are not happy- work in a non-faith school. Simple answer.

6. Karvol

That is my whole point. There shouldn't be any faith schools. All they do is breed ignorance and insularity.

7. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Well, I'm all for being sympathetic and supportive of a school's faith, but I think being asked to sing is a bit much.

Used to get the urge, in my late teens and early 20s, after a good night out, but it diminished sharply, along with my alcohol intake. Has the proposer also suggested a motivational dram or two beforehand?

8. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Totally agree! It's always the ones whose little angels you would like to have a serious talk about that never show up.

9. Singing with gusto would give you an opportunity to be seen to be taking the mickey about the situation, without the worry of this ever being proved. Win win situation.

As for the people who suggest that faithless teachers should not teach in faith schools, I would argue that this would be extremely limiting to faith schools, in that they are not going to get the cream of the crop, merely the cream of the faithful. The catholic school in which I teach has had quite a few recruitment problems for the SLT positions, as it insists on the applicants being practising catholics. I know of a number of teachers who do the church bit so they can reach the upper rungs of the job, but I'm afraid I value integrity and adhesion to principles. Going along with singing and praying at meetings is fine, but it all seems fake to me.

Oh, and just to fend off those of you who are going to question my working here, I knew the job involved being sympathetic to the catholic ethos, and I am. I also seem to know an awful lot more about the teachings of catholicism than the teachers here who are of that faith and, let's face it, I often find I lead a less sinful life than those too.

10. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Occasional commenter

You seem to be getting plenty of ignorance and insularity into your post without the assistance of a faith school.

11. Karvol

Blame it on the fact that my school was - what is the phrase? - a faith school.