1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

More £££ spent overseas!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Grabthar, Dec 13, 2015.

1. Grabthar

Grabthar Established commenter

2. Joe_Pubes

Joe_Pubes Senior commenter

India announces £10billion deal for 200mph Japanese bullet trains - so why do we still send them £300m a year when our trains are clapped out?

Good question

3. Grabthar

Because we just can't help spending money on everything and everyone else, while we neglect our own people, in the name of some ridiculous, leftist, feel-good ideals that make no sense to anyone with any common sense?

I wouldn't mind sharing if we looked after our own first, but we never do!

lexus300 likes this.
  4. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

300 million would go a long way to sorting out the homeless problem for our ex service men and women.

5. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

In this case I think that possibly the use of "leftist" was poorly thought through given the circumstances

6. Grabthar

No, it isn't. This spending abroad started with a labour government. Gordon Brown got us into providing benefits for those outside the UK.

7. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

8. Joe_Pubes

Just as they maxed out the credit cards and left a message for the Tories saying "there's no money left".

9. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

In the context of the story, yes, but the agenda is about the enemy within, so every opportunity to raise the spectre of the ficticious lefties needs to be taken. We must have at least two generations who never experienced life before Maggie and her rise to power, so they think the time is ripe to dig up the old ploys used to divide. That is, in the absence of fresh ideas of their own.

10. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

(my emphasis)

I think not baby puppy (comic film reference)

11. Joe_Pubes

You seem to see plots of all sorts everywhere.

12. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

No Joe, only where I ponder why the unlikely gets posted as fact. I'm sure you'll agree with me that occasionally the absurd occurs, and when it does it dealt with. The absurd doesn't occur on the daily basis that the tabloids would like us to believe, and they rarely follow their bizarre stories up. My best advice is if a story never makes mainstream news among the thousands of news outlets we have and can be referenced online within seconds, it's a non-story.

UKIP still believe the world remains the same as it did in the 50s, when it might take a week for stories to break, and rely on the most base news outlets to draw the public's attention to them,

Here's a suggestion: In the absence of Grabthar's inability to get laid, how about you remind him that HoratioBlows or try a turn at it yourself if Horatio turns out to be more full of wind than he professes.

13. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

The problem as I see it is that Maggie has lived on through successive Conservative and Labour governments and I see no end to her destructive influence (from beyond the grave even). She was and still is (indirectly) a force of nature.