1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

More pupils affected by school teaching wrong set texts

Discussion in 'Personal' started by foroff2233, May 17, 2019.

1. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

The school web site is remarkably uncommunicative when it comes to information about the curriculum.
    It's a very small school - 400 on roll including the prep school.
    When last inspected, in 2017, it was rated 'Excellent'

2. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Interesting, but it only takes one inexperienced possibly over promoted Hod to miss something like this.

3. Happygopolitely

Happygopolitely Established commenter

Or a bad line manager and a bad hod?

4. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

@florian gassmann Interesting, although there have been several high profile cases of parents suing private schools because their children didn't do very well, remember the boy who only got 1 GCSE? You hear the parents are suing the school but you never hear the rulings.

5. Happygopolitely

Doesn't 'igcse allowed here' mean private sch kids get a step up the ladder anyway?

catbefriender likes this.
  6. needabreak

It would be interesting to know the rulings, and I expect much of the time it's "don't be daft your little darling has been a lax and lazy piece of work and has done little in the way of any, while attempting to scapegoat over their performance is hardly a good example to them going forward... You can't buy qualifications only a good chance/opportunity ... Or sow's ear silk purse dear but at least they were in a nice environment and for the most part happy..." Or you'd hope so.

florian gassmann likes this.
  7. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

It was only a threat of suing the school, as far as I can see. Subsequently it was the father who was found guilty of trying to besmirch the name of the school by setting up a fake website, which he was ordered to take down:

DISPUTE RESOLUTION SERVICE: D00018335

And his divorced wife appeared in the popular press to denounce her ex for causing the stupidity of the unfortunate son to be broadcast to the nation, further limiting his chances in life.

In general, solicitors point out that independent schools have multi-tiered complaints systems which have to be exhausted before legal action can even be contemplated. The latter, involving breach of contract, can be extremely complicated, rarely successful and potentially very expensive, so cases seldom get to court.

Exactly.

Rentaghost likes this.
  8. needabreak

Perhaps they haven't caught up... yet, but I'd hope universities and future employers would know of any differences.

If GCSE coursework has been scrapped then isn't the IGCSE redundant anyway?The might do well to rationalise provision.

9. catbefriender

@florian gassmann thanks for the update. I knew about the threat, I knew about the ex criticising him in the press but never heard the consequences of his so called legal action probably because there wasn't any.

10. catbefriender

Don't get me started on iGCSEs! These could save the sanity of many hardworking students who fall to pieces at the prospect of final exams. :mad::mad::mad:

The iGCSE in Maths is only TWO, 2 hour calculator papers and the Mathematical formulas are still included, the reformed GCSE in Maths is three 1.5 hour papers, 1 non calculator and 2 calculator papers and NO Mathematical formulas. Why is this injustice allowed?

needabreak likes this.
  11. Happygopolitely

Completely agree. Igcses are allowed for the rich. Savvy state sch parents could enter their kids privately for igcses though to beat the class divide and unfairness in our education system.

Ironic really though when the govt claims to want to help disadvantaged and poor students - yet allows this.

12. florian gassmann

State schools have been allowed to enter pupils for iGCSE since 2013, but many are reluctant to do so because they don't count towards school performance tables (independent schools don't generally bother with such tables these days).

13. Happygopolitely

No . Not anymore.

State schs used to be allowed to enter for igcse. But they started doing rather well and the govt then argued they were not rigorous enough.

So State schools in fact are not allowed to enter their students for igcses because the govt will no longer let them. And Ofsted will not count them.and neither will they mean anything on League Tables. Nothing to do with being 'reluctant' - the school isnt allowed.

In effect state sch students are not allowed by the govt to do the easier igcses. While orivate sch students can. All incredibly unfair. Easier igcses are an exam that the rich are allowed to do - but not state sch kids.

14. needabreak

Wouldn't that help then if they are at risk of lower league table results with the GCSE (if it takes the less able students out if the equation) or have I misunderstood? That said it would no doubt be abolished if it were found to be advantageous to state school students.

Happygopolitely likes this.
  15. needabreak

Ah as I suspected, it's been done. Didn't see this yesterday guess you're being moderated or something.

Happygopolitely likes this.
  16. florian gassmann

The argument, of course, is that candidates for iGCSE get better results because most of them come from selective schools.

Personally, though, I have no experience of iGCSE. In my subject, we always thought that GCSE was quite easy enough.

17. Happygopolitely

I do have experience of both..State sch students did better at igcses regardless of selective schs..

And in my experience igcse is easier than the gcse. State schs when doing igcse found their results shot up. Gove stopped igcses in state schools because they were deemed as not being challenging enough.

As such, easier Igcses still continue to be sat by the rich but not allowed to be sat by state schs since Ofsted do not recognise them.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  18. Happygopolitely

Indeed. But still allowed in private schs. So yes one way to help the poor and disadvantaged students would be to allow them to do the same igcses that the richer students are allowed to do.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    catbefriender and needabreak like this.
  19. needabreak

Or creatva level playing field and scrap the igcse?

20. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

IB Latin SL changed the text halfway through the exam cycle (last September) but my IB Coordinator neglected to tell me. I discovered it at Christmas after I asked a publisher why their just published (very late!) commentary had different sections.....!

(but I think this thread is more about the schools teaching old texts?)