1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

More or Less

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by sandybeach85, Aug 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. sandybeach85

    sandybeach85 New commenter

    I have been offered a job in an independent school - it means working about 60 hours a week and moving house and uprooting the family. My wife will have to give up her job and might not find a job quickly in a small town.

    or

    I could simply get a job as a TA my wife working as a TA, my daughter happy in school and I could get about the same money.

    There is no real financial reason to go but it would advance my career. What would you do? Should I go and advance my career or should I give up on career and work less.
     
  2. grumbleweed

    grumbleweed Lead commenter

    Depends on whether you want to work 60 hours or if you want a life.
    Also how easy it would be for you to get a TA job. If it were me nope I'd not take the job. When I moved half way across the country it was for less money but better work life balance
     
  3. lindenlea

    lindenlea Star commenter

    I wonder why you applied for the job - were you really fed up in your last post? What do your wife and daughter think? it seems a bit daft to move just at the moment when your family has got ties to the area. Why not wait till a decent job comes up locally. Maybe you were really p I s s e d off and applied for anything anywhere just to get away but now you are realising it's not actually a very good idea. If the new job is in an area you'd all like to be in then it might be worth it and your wife might pick up work she likes before long. Only you know how desperate you are to get away.
     
    emerald52, 576, phlogiston and 4 others like this.
  4. grumpydogwoman

    grumpydogwoman Star commenter

    Speaking for me. I wouldn't.

    Your daughter is happy? You manage OK for money? Your wife doesn't hate her job? Stay put. A career path will open up for you where you are. Probably.
     
    emerald52, sabrinakat and pepper5 like this.
  5. caterpillartobutterfly

    caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

    Given you were offered the post in early June (Thread here) I would think it is rather late now to decide you might not want it.
    Mind you, you have posted sympathy for working 55-60 hours a week as if you already do this. (Here)
    And as you have recently come back from abroad and have asked about whether you could rise to be a headteacher (Here) this seems a very strange kind of dilemma.

    You have a PGCE and several years experience teaching and are ambitious enough to think about being a head in the future. How on earth you equate this with 'simply get a TA post' I can't for the life of me imagine. And what kind of TA post pays the same as a teacher with experience in an independent school, I have no idea. (Even taking account of the fact many independents are struggling and pay teachers less than the state sector.)

    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
     
    asnac, Billie73, Pomz and 2 others like this.
  6. sandybeach85

    sandybeach85 New commenter

    The post starts in January but I'm just thinking about all my options. The TA post doesn't pay the same - but considering everything like my wife working and much cheaper housing costs where I am - in the end, the money ends up very similar. I'm confused - sometimes I think I would like to work hard and climb the career ladder at other times I feel I should just relax and be happier with less.
     
  7. grumpydogwoman

    grumpydogwoman Star commenter

    Silly to uproot the family for
     
    jvassay likes this.
  8. caterpillartobutterfly

    caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

    These options (wife, child, living costs, location) should have been considered before you applied for and accepted the post. It's too late now.

    If you've not yet started the post, and won't until January, I'm extremely confused as to how you can tell another poster you already work at this school and work 55-60 hours a week and sympathise with them. You don't at all. (OK I'm not naive enough to assume everyone posts absolute truths on TES, but a vaguely accurate account is generally assumed.)
     
    asnac and DYNAMO67 like this.
  9. DYNAMO67

    DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

    Well, you have to decide for yourself. Preferably before bringing some unexpecting employer into it really.

    Would I uproot my family and get my wife to give up a job? Yes, if long term it was in the best interests of your career, and therefore the family as a result of you being better off. One assumes that at some point your wife will find a role. Your post suggests that even you aren't convinced of it though. In that case, the answer has to be no. I also question why you even applied in these circumstances. I hope you haven't accepted and are now simply going to drop the employer either..
     
  10. install

    install Star commenter

    I would stay put - for now. You are blessed to have a happy family....Don't take it for granted.

    Your time will come though - hopefully closer to home.
     
    jvassay and grumpydogwoman like this.
  11. SEBREGIS

    SEBREGIS Lead commenter

    This doesn't sound like a ladder I'd want to climb, frankly.

    If you will make the same money where you are, for a job which is WAY easier, and not uproot your family - look, it's a no brainer. Stay put and keep your eyes open for a career move closer to home.
     
  12. DYNAMO67

    DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

    It is more money for him. He is taking into account that if wife will have to give up her job. At least in the short term, bringing the household income down.
     
    jvassay likes this.
  13. caterpillartobutterfly

    caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

    I'm soooo surprised by the advice being given for the OP to change their mind and not move. They have already accepted the post. They are contractually obliged to start the post. There isn't a choice to be made.

    For a long term view, a post as a teacher is a better move than a post as a TA.

    The OP has accepted a post in an independent school. If they give it up, there is no guarantee they will get a TA post near where they live now. (There is a thread on here from a teacher struggling to get a TA post.) And they will definitely have blotted their copybook for a post in an independent in the future. The choice is starting a post already accepted or having no post at all.

    According to other posts, the OP has only very recently returned to the UK from working abroad. Any 'roots' they might have where they are will currently be very shallow.

    I'm all for doing what makes you happy in the here and now, but having an eye to the future is always advisable.
     
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  14. grumpydogwoman

    grumpydogwoman Star commenter

    But the post starts in January. Surely the OP can hand in notice now? Do we know for sure that he can't?
     
    install likes this.
  15. caterpillartobutterfly

    caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

    Independent schools generally require a full term's notice.
    So the school would be very unimpressed to have to appoint during next term for a January start, given it is the summer holidays.
    The OP would need to check their contract to see if the deadline is the last day of the term preceding or the first day or the new term. Either are usual.

    The OP is an experienced EAL teacher and was appointed to develop this in their new school. On the back of this, the OP asked about the chance of going on from this to headteacher role. (Swapping it for a TA post seems madness to me.) Chance of getting someone else fill such a post is teeny, especially at what is effectively very short notice.
     
    jvassay likes this.
  16. sandybeach85

    sandybeach85 New commenter

    It does start in January, as per contract I can give one term notice. I may have to pay something back and I may blot my copybook.

    Thanks for the replies so far though - it's always good to hear what others think.
     
  17. caterpillartobutterfly

    caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

    What would you pay back? Presumably they haven't paid you anything yet?
     
  18. grumpydogwoman

    grumpydogwoman Star commenter

    Well, whatever the contract says.

    But EAL are ten-a-penny round here. Even Her Maj has an EAL qual! And taught it when she was at a loose end!
     
  19. caterpillartobutterfly

    caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

    Which presumably means the OP may struggle to get a post as a TA, especially if they want to be paid at the higher end.

    You need to check the deadline...one term may mean you needed to let them know before last term finished.
     
  20. grumpydogwoman

    grumpydogwoman Star commenter

    If you hadn't been the consummate detective/had the best memory @caterpillartobutterfly then I don't know if anyone would have picked up on it. Kudos.
     

Share This Page