1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

more on Key Portfolio...

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by goosey200, Feb 28, 2011.

1. goosey200

goosey200 New commenter

Slightly concerned about all the recent posts about Key. I've just today signed up with a third supply agency in Bristol (as my last two offered me either no/next to no work) and the woman cheerfully said she'd put me down to be paid by Key (not heard of them before) as I'd get at least £1 more a week (woohoo.) I was told all about claiming for stationary and keeping a record of mileage etc. Nothing was said about a fee and I was handed a thin leaflet to explain everything.
    Hmm, having read it (didn't take long), it seems out of date as regards the claiming for expenses and, from what I hear, the new rule about sampling. It looks like a big faff for nothing - I have to pay Key a fee AND pay my agency's NI??! I take a packed lunch every day (as you never know what to expect at a new school) which apparently I can't claim for (anyway, how can I provide proof of the expense when the food is all part of my big food shop). In my (admittedly little) supply experience, I haven't incurred much petrol expense - at least, not much more than the minumum £8 fee Key will charge per week.
    I'm thinking about calling the agency tomorrow to ask to be taken off Key - can I do that as I've only just registered with them? Or is there anyone out there who ishappy with Key and it really IS worth the fuss?

2. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

So far for me it has been worth it. as I'm prepared to drive some distance to work, and I have a very economical car, the mileage and food allowances have reduced my tax bill enormously.
    I have also claimed for paper, printer cartridges, postage and other sundries.
    Ironically, if I work nearer to home then lack of breakfast (I often leave by 6.30am so can claim this) and reduced mileage means I earn a lot less.
    All this fuss over receipts means it is better to be paid gross by agency, and claim your own expenses for which IR do not require receipts.

3. goosey200

goosey200 New commenter

Thanks Belledujour. I have agreed to travel about 15 miles for work - that doesn't sound far so it looks as though it might not be worth it?

4. I work through Teaching Personnel and when I returned to work after maternity leave I was told that they now paid through Key Portfolio and that my pay would always be at least £1 a week more than if it was paid through Tp's own payroll - I wasn't told that I could still stay with TP if I wanted to.
    The reality is that I haven't been able to see the benefit of their manipulation of the off-setting of expenses, because even with say a round trip of 64 miles to claim per day I haven't noticed an increase in my pay to show this. Admittedly they haven't got my tax code right since I started working through them so I haven't been able to compare lilke for like with a similar job done under TP - but I've had enough and will start back on TP's own payroll this week.
    I have worked for another agency and been paid through JSA and there did seem to be a difference to my pay then, also their payslips seemed easier to understand than Key's. So it might work o.k. for you.

5. gud4age

gud4age New commenter

Hi, last year on supply got paid through Key and was better off a month by £40 even with admin fee they charge and they were extremely efficient at all times.

6. goosey200

goosey200 New commenter

That's good to hear! I've called my agency and they are the ones who GUARANTEE I'll be at least £1 better off each week so we shall see.......