1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

More Linux.......

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by stupot101, Mar 19, 2011.

1. stupot101

stupot101 Established commenter

ok. After last weekend.....with some of wonderful advice, I successfully managed to downlad and install a version of PCLinuxm, which I now run from a live CD. (I haven't istalled it on the HD of my Laptop - I have Windows XP as my main OS)

Mow I would really like to run Ubuntu Studio. Would you recommend I download and run this from a pendrive or DVD? (It is too big for CD).
    I would eventually prefer to run Ubuntu as my main operating system, and XP as a secondary OS (possibly running this from a flash drive)

My main interest are in music and recording etc.

Any advice is much appreciated

2. I'd probably install it from a DVD,it's just simpler.
    Having said that, Ubuntu itself can be upgraded https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ubuntu%20Studio%20Installation and can be easily downloaded or got off magazine covers.
    You may find this easier as AFAICS Studio is the alternative (text based) installer which is a bit more fiddly if you aren't fairly comfortable with Linux.
    Word of warning, from experience: If you have an NVIDIA graphics card, the Nouveau driver seems very unstable (on my GTS240 anyway) if you do anything much at all. Install Ubuntu, then when it's finished install the proprietary nvidia drivers straight away and reboot.
    Ubuntu is definitely the best choice. It is not the fastest, but is probably the most reliable.