1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

More kitchen advice ... no kitchen!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by ROSIEGIRL, Jan 13, 2020.

1. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

The kitchen is about to be ripped out so we have no cooker for the next few weeks, probably.

We still have the fridge (in the hall!) and a microwave, which is also a small oven. Oh and a slow cooker.

So any advice or tips on meals? We rarely use ready meals, but they will be an option I suppose - which are the best ones?

We're also expecting to use takeaways and cheap eating out offers and are hoping family and friends will take pity on us!

Thank you!

Shedman likes this.
  2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Make many meals.

Freeze.

When needed, unfreeze.

Microwave.

Eat.

Really?

Plan some dinner parties.

chelsea2, Lara mfl 05 and bonxie like this.
  3. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Bulk cook meals - curry, chilli, stew etc. - in the slow cooker, and then freeze in meal-sized batches. Defrost and reheat in the microwave. You can cook veg in the microwave at the mealtime.

4. maggie m

maggie m Senior commenter

Find a slow cooker recipe book. You would be amazed what you can rustle up. With that and a microwave/ small oven you can make almost anything.

5. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Borrow/Buy a single ring hob for about £12. Add stir fry and risotto etc to your menu. We managed for >6 months with 1 ring hob and microwave while new kitchen was built.

BelleDuJour likes this.
  6. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Weeks? An enormous complicated kitchen, a cooker being hand made by a craftsman or a or a very slow kitchen installer?
    :rolleyes:

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  7. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

We’ve just had months of no kitchen. We used our 2 ring camping gas, slow cooker, kettle and toaster. We ate a lot of pasta, rice, stir fries and convenience foods.

oldsomeman likes this.
  8. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Get a 3 tier electric steamer. I have a Tesco model. It's really easy to clean as well as being versatile.

9. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

[​IMG]

Get yourself a little twin hotplate like this above - £19 from Amazon. Cheaper than takeaways.

10. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Or buy one of the microwave roasters and then sell it on when finished.
    Mind you my mate and I gutted my kitchen completely. Walls, ceiling, floor, new windows, etc and it took the two of us just over a week for the basic structures to be in place and useable and a week later it was plastered, painted and complete

11. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Weeks does sound like a long time.

I like that idea of @oldsomeman

Sell the kit on afterwards. And I like it when posters like @Shedman post a picture. That's always useful.

12. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Build a pizza oven in the garden. You can live on pizza and other baked deliciousnesses, and you'll still have the pizza oven when the kitchen's finished, just in time to show off to your friends in the summer.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  13. ROSIEGIRL

We're having some structural alterations done, followed by the new kitchen, hence the time frame.

And yes we have family and friends close by who will feed us now and again - as we have with them, when they were in similar circumstances.

Thanks for your thoughts and ideas - will have a look at the hardware!

emerald52 likes this.
  14. LondonCanary

Downside is you will be the size of a house.

emerald52 likes this.
  15. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I took a fortnight off work to do ours so I guess it involved a similar amount of work. Two days to rip everything out and take it to the tip, which included getting rid of two massive built in cupboards. The rest of the first week was spent laying a new floor, putting in more electrical sockets than enough and redoing all the plumbing so we could have a more sensible arrangement for the sink, washing machine and dishwasher and painting the ceiling.

I took Sunday off so I could go to church, then first thing on Monday, I was tiling the walls. The kitchen units arrived on Tuesday and it took a couple of days to assemble and fit them, then on Friday, I fitted the new worktops and sink. The new appliances came on Saturday, but they didn't long to install, so I had a breather and a think about the finishing touches, which gave me the inspiration on Sunday to forego church and go to my workshop and make a hanging pot rack. This sort of thing gives you the idea, but mine was different.

upload_2020-1-13_22-4-23.jpeg

As for cooking, the original kitchen had an electric cooker which had to be removed while I was working, but at the end of each day, I replaced it so my sweetheart could cook a meal on it.

She wanted new pots and pans, so we just worked our way through the old ones and didn't worry about washing them up after. They were all going to end up at the tip, and they didn't need to be spotless when we dumped them.

Aside from a few bits of trim that had to be fitted above and below the wall units, we had a workable kitchen. We offered the old appliances for free to anyone who they might do a favour to in the newsagent's window and they went within a week and my sweetheart spent the following week in John Lewis buying stuff to clutter up all the workspace she'd dreamed of owning.

To summarise, a kitchen doesn't actually take that long to replace and unless you are having it hand built and fitted by a craftsman, you'd have to wonder whether anyone who puts up with it taking longer that a few weeks, a month at the very outside, was seen coming.

16. ROSIEGIRL

It's not just the kitchen! See above!

emerald52 likes this.
  17. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

If only I knew where my ex-tenants lived - they could tell you.
    They rented what had been my mum's house for about 3 years.
    When they moved out, the only thing which did not need a deeeeep professional clean was the cooker, which I'd left.
    It had never been used.
    I can only assume they'd lived on takeaways and microwave meals for 3 years.

18. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Having said that I do know of someone who had a kitchen extension and it took several months. :eek:

There are always 'hitches', when you're trying to co-ordinate builders, heating engineers, electricians and cabinet fitters alongside plumbers. Who are all inevitably unavailable at the same time. :rolleyes:

That's what we're hoping to do, eat in the garden, so need to wait for the summer weather. Son has one of these
    [​IMG] which has a hotplate /warming plate at the sides. With an awning to keep off the rain, we may manage.

Think about the washing up as well, as for me the lack of a sink may be the greater problem. :(

19. LondonCanary

Did you do this on your own. It normally takes two to pick up a 3m worktop. Routing the worktop joins is the most difficult part.

20. MyOrchid

MyOrchid Occasional commenter

I use one of these but it pays to get the higher power/wattage models as the cheaper ones tend to take ages to warm up and don't provide enough heat the cook effectively.

Orchid

Lara mfl 05 likes this.