1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

More downloads than sales?

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by TheGingerTeacher, Sep 26, 2015.

1. TheGingerTeacher

TheGingerTeacher Established commenter Forum guide and community helper

Anybody else notice this? When I look at my products the amount of downloads doesn't match the amount of sales on my statistics.... Any reason for this? Anyone else getting it?

2. languageisheartosay

languageisheartosay Occasional commenter

Well... it could be someone who's paid taking advantage of the allowed multi time download FOR THEIR OWN USE - or of course on the other hand... I have yet to have enough of either sales or downloads of the for sale items to notice anything!

3. languageisheartosay

Now I've just checked mine and there's been a ridiculous rise in the number of views (like hundreds) but no increase in sales. Either it isn't working properly or - sob - they can see enough from the new wonderful previews to know they don't want to part with the very reasonable price!!!

4. LanguageArtsLab

LanguageArtsLab New commenter

Something is buggy. And the way the analytics are set out really don't help.

5. TheGingerTeacher

Just an idea, but have you considered using covers? I notice lots of your resources don't have them and it might help?

6. languageisheartosay

Covers? As in: put all the pages inside a booklet? Please say more.

7. TheGingerTeacher

8. languageisheartosay

Ah - I see what you mean. Good idea. I've been focused into cramming as much as possible into a small space and my cover notes tend to be all text but it would be easy to put a pic at the top. Thanks.

9. LanguageArtsLab

LanguageArtsLab New commenter

I might have an explanation:

1) If you have multiple files in your product, it may count them as individual downloads

2) Have you downloaded the product to check formatting, etc? I know I do. Maybe this counts as a download.

10. Goodeyedeers

Goodeyedeers New commenter

Hi Charleei
    I hadn't noticed this until I read your post but it is definitely happening to me as well. How strange. It would be great if all those downloads were buyers but I feel they are not and it is more likely to be a glitch of some sort.
    Mike

11. TheGingerTeacher

It isn't just me checking the formatting or people downloading a couple of times, one of my products has download number of nearly 500 but on my stats has only sold around 30...

12. Goodeyedeers

Goodeyedeers New commenter

Hi
    Just had this reply from Rebecca at TES - it might help clarify.

"We have recently changed what you see on the site when viewing resources. Previously you could see the number of sales a resource had, now you will see the number of downloads it has. The number of downloads does not necessarily match the number of sales. This can vary for many reasons such as; when a person purchases the resource they are free to download it as often as they like, they may simply hit the download button multiple times during the download process or need to re-download the resource again.
    Each time any one that has purchased your resource downloads it the download total will increase. If members of the TES team are looking at your resources we may also need to download them and this will also increase the total number of downloads. Therefore the total downloads will not always match the total sales."

Mike

13. TheGingerTeacher

Hmmm.... I guess so, such a big difference though.