1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

More directed time than anywhere else ..

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by mrandmrsscience, Sep 9, 2019.

1. mrandmrsscience

mrandmrsscience New commenter

I started a new school this September. I came from a school that had a crippling workload. However it seems where I have gone to has a strange obsession with directed time. We have to stay until 4 because we have to add 30 min directed time at the end of the day. Also we have to stay until 5.30 every Monday, do 7 parents evenings of 4 hours each and 2 open evenings of 4.5 hours each. We have been told today we must do an hours intervention as part of directed time once a week. However my partners school has the same inset days as us, as does my previous school yet they never said we owed hours. My school says we are still 25 hours under the correct amount of directed time so we will also be told to do detentions at night. Am I right in being confused how different schools can dictate you work different hours when they are all maintained state schools?

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Directed time is a limit, not a target, but I think some managers feel they are wasting resources if they don't use it all up. Some schools do stay below it, and some include all meetings in the directed time calculation, even if not all staff attend (eg HoDs meetings); that way they know everyone is under the limit, and those who only teach some year groups may end up rather more below. Presumably the hour of intervention will come at least partly out of already-directed time, as you are already asked to stay until 4.

Your school should be able to show you the breakdown of directed time, and if not, work it out for yourself. If each day (other than Monday) works out at 6 hours, then your meetings described above use up all the spare.

strawbs likes this.
  3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Your school management sounds bonkers OP, truly.

If I were you, I'd add up on a spread sheet every hour of every day, and when you reach 1265 tell the school you won't be available for the last (however many) weeks of the year...;) (OK, I wouldn't actually NOT turn up, but I'd play them at their own game:D...)

4. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

speak to your in school union rep who should hopefully have a breakdown as @frustum describes

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Not knowing what time you start or the length of your lunch break, it is impossible to say, but you can work it out easily enough. Just take the time you have to be at school each day, excluding lunch break and add it up for the week. Multiply by 39 (number of weeks in the school year) and add on the extra sessions. For example, if you had to be at school at 9am every day and had an hour for lunch, that would make six hours per day plus an extra 1.5 on Mondays. So, 31.5 hours a week, making 1228.5 in the year. Add on the extra hours you mention and you get 1265.5, so there is a no slack for meetings etc. But this is only based on a guess about your average week.

What happens at the other school is irrelevant. However, I can't see why a school would book in dead directed hours just to make up the time. Aiming at significantly less than the limit would be good for staff relations if nothing else.