1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

More cracks appear in the system

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Mangleworzle, Oct 6, 2015.

1. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

Every year I've been in my present job, the number of papers back and re-marks has doubled. If enough queries are upheld the school (i.e. the parents) doesn't have to pay for it. Because it's a school in an affluent area, parents seem more than happy to throw hundreds of pounds at re-marks that the teachers and exam officer think are a waste of time and money, but which, with alarming regularity, come back upgraded. Of course some go down, but I think that might be 3 so far.

2. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

I had edited my statement to refer to the labelling of artefacts ...

Apart from the rationale for needing this, you need to realise that consistent labels in artefacts can only be constructed, not measured.

I can buy different sizes of screw, but any attempt I make to classify the weather into types is going to be subject to classification overlap.

3. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Yes I see that you had although my response, which I began prior to your edit, applies just as keenly to it. Your statements carry no weight here because you do not have the qualifications, training and experience appropriate to this discussion. This is not pejorative. I asked you yesterday whence your knowledge of teaching because I wished to help you but you declined to answer. Your silence spoke volumes.

These are complex issues, @Eureka!, and I don't think I'm saying anything controversial in pointing out that your opinions on teaching are no more valuable than those of any other unqualified, untrained and inexperienced person with an internet connection. I see no reason why I should value your opinions any more highly.

4. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

I am a senior examiner for a major board, and the qualification % for marking specific questions is set at 90%. However, I almost always pass at 100% across the board for my responses, and presume most others do too. Given that examiners should become more proficient as they do more responses, the number of incorrectly marked responses should decline even more through the marking process.

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  5. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

I have an immense knowledge of teaching. Test me - go on!

6. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

If I might interject, Vince, so does your volubility. Why do I get the impression you fear debate and choose to shout it down with inane comments about the qualifications of those making them?

How about letting on how specially qualified you are to make yours?

7. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Vince has never experienced Heaven, but he believes in it!

8. Vince_Ulam

Better than 19% of what? This is only a proportion of results challenged, a figure with greater dynamic potential than the total number of all papers.

You acknowledge that we cannot expect perfection - human error is a factor - so how do you feel about a human error figure of 1%?

9. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Why is it that when someone says something isn't good enough at its current level that you get others thinking it's some kind of debating point to keep banging on about wanting an appropriate alternative hard figure. Then of course we'll get - "Oh why x%!?"

To do so I would need to know far more than I do about how possible it is to improve the figure, though Scintillant as a senior examiner says 90% marking accuracy is expected and 100% certainly possible.

The 19% is from the article I linked to, though for my subject about 30% was closer to what we got, both are unacceptable. What might be possible is the result of many factors, cost is one of them, I suspect that the commercial organizations that exam boards are these days skew the balance towards cost saving and profit making more than they should be for such an important issue with far reaching consequences. Then again you seem to think the system is working perfectly well.

10. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

90% is the minimum allowable. I expect most people are 100%. It's impossible to know much more without a lot more information and data

11. Vince_Ulam

If you didn't want to talk about numbers then it was inappropriate of you to open a discussion complaining about numbers.

I posited 1% as an error rate because, by reference to the sum of GCSE & GCE results issued in August 2012, it's a more accurate representation of 77,000 re-grades than the 19% you're clutching. So given that you accept that perfection is unattainable, if only 1% of all GCSE & GCE results require re-grading and are re-graded, then I would expect this is something with which you can live.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
    Scintillant likes this.
  12. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

That's not the number that were mis-marked. That's the number that were appealed and re-marked.

13. Vince_Ulam

Get yourself a pointy stick because your grenade is a dud.