1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

More coronavirus deaths in UK than in whole of EU

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TheoGriff, Jun 4, 2020.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

UK Population 66 million
    EU Population 450 million

Screenshot_20200604-120226_Twitter.jpg

How have we come to this?

Is it a wonder that the rest of Europe looks on incredulously as WE quarantine THEM?

(The figures from BBC. I cannot guarantee accuracy)

Keep safe, everyone

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
  2. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

We won't know until we know who is catching it and wherre. No idea after 12 weeks

Kandahar, sodalime and Jamvic like this.
  3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

It's not 359 deaths in one day... it's 359 new deaths known to authorities and reported to us.

The pattern is now below 100 deaths a day
    [​IMG]

4. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Rather, more people die of corona virus infection each day in the UK than in the whole of the EU.

TheoGriff likes this.
  5. steely1

steely1 Occasional commenter

Not that I want to take away from such a grim statistic, but when that was aired on Newsnight last night, there was the caveat that the figures are calculated differently in some of those EU nations.

As I said, however - still very grim.

WB, TheoGriff and dumpty like this.
  6. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I wish you had been faster off the mark with that and saved me my post.

7. burajda

burajda Star commenter

It doesn't make much sense. Why arent they quaranteening us? Do they really want Brits in their resorts as they open up and we close down?

TheoGriff, chelsea2 and Dunteachin like this.
  8. sodalime

sodalime Star commenter

I suppose we'll need to wait and see what air corridors are reciprocally agreed and what, if any, quarantining is expected from each country involved in their air corridor agreement with the UK. Different countries, i'm sure, will have different restrictions/demands, but financial necessity is a huge motivator.

9. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

There are countries such as Malta and Greece who quite understandably certainly don't want us at present.

TheoGriff and agathamorse like this.
  10. Grandsire

Grandsire Star commenter

Blimey, that is stark, even if you assuming that our counting is simply better. But the real figures for the UK are going to be higher, because of the lack of testing. What on earth have we done with the time granted to us by the lockdown?

I can't shake the feeling that our government is still pursuing the 'herd immunity' plan...

idlp56, Catsoup, Sally006 and 4 others like this.
  11. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

That's just deaths in hospital, so not comparing apples with apples.

12. LondonCanary

Right now, it's herd immunity or indefinite Island lockdown as the only options for now.

Grandsire, dumpty, ilovesooty and 2 others like this.
  13. sodalime

sodalime Star commenter

Indeed. Until every person in the UK can be tested, that's where we are just now. Testing only those in certain professions/job roles and those displaying symptoms is proof that herd immunity is the policy.

14. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

If that's all the Tories can offer, they need to give up and let someone else run the country.

15. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

The last few years, well ten actually, have made me feel embarrassed to be British. Tories, guilty of murder of their own people, in one way or another. Even if you dress it up as "oppression" or "failure to protect" or "we are all in this together" (we aren't and we never were). As the "sick man of Europe" we deserve evrything the Tories throw at us, because the majority spoke and voted them in. That 350 million quid a week spent on the people might have helped.

16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

The 359 deaths figure is deaths in hospitals.

The figures I'm discussing are deaths in hospitals.

Do you know what an apple looks like?

Kandahar likes this.
  17. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

I do get the feeling of borderline extreme hatred and yet frustration from Labour leaning voters which still - while being sincere and honest - does little to change the debate.

The enigma is still that while there are indeed many (very many, not least on here as a majority) who feel as you do and argue the same points as you, it appears that apart from the Blair years the British people keep voting Tory when push comes to shove.

Look how they kept voting Thatcher back too.

I was overseas most of these years and recently too so I really have no idea why and am as perplexed as many of you.

I agree though it must be horribly frustrating as this pattern seems unable to break unless like Blair you offer Tory Lite.

Catsoup and Kandahar like this.
  18. LondonCanary

Seems to be down to a change in the way Spain is now reporting.

Kandahar likes this.
  19. LondonCanary

Herd immunity or lockdowns, what is someone else offering?

sodalime likes this.
  20. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

That's a little harsh but fair.

Oscillatingass likes this.