1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

More cash, less stress.

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Lucilla90, Jul 21, 2018.

1. Lucilla90

Lucilla90 Occasional commenter

BBC News newspaper review just highlighted the article in The Guardian yesterday. In this article, it stated:

‘The education secretary, Damian Hines, admitted too many teachers in England are being overwhelmed by excessive workloads and has pledged to do more to relieve the causes of stress that have been pushing qualified staff out of the classroom.

The move came as Hinds argued that schools were on a par with the NHS as a “special case” for extra government spending’

Could this mean things will finally be ‘looking up’?

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Ha!

thekillers1 and catbefriender like this.
  3. SomethingWicked

SomethingWicked Occasional commenter

I think we need to take a more aggressive stance on not reporting what politicians say, but what they do. This is of course particularly true of the EdSec du jour and the DoE. Repeating his platitudes anywhere, in any context, is helping him to do nothing.

JohnJCazorla and phlogiston like this.
  4. install

install Star commenter

Nope - the nhs supposed pay rise was over several yrs, but nurses do get overtime pay..which teachers never will :(

5. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

When he was PM, John Major made several comments about wanting to better the lot of teachers. There was one biggish inflation busting / retention pay rise of something like 6%. Other than that, his warm words did not translate into action (or enough teacher votes in the 1997 general election).
    One of the first things Labour did was to deliver longer serving teachers a decent pay rise via UPS.

6. Jamvic

Jamvic Lead commenter

Second thread this has been an apt quote for.

E4DE8884-438A-4034-925A-2C388036FF8C.jpeg

thekillers1 and catbefriender like this.
  7. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

More likely reducing workload initiative headlines to compensate for disappointing pay settlement whenever it’s announced.. cynical, moi?

8. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

It's easy (and cheap) to send out the "Workload Needs Reducing" edict.

But will Hinds look at the processes that lead to extra workload:
    • Hoop-jumping for OFSTED
    • Hoop-jumping for Appraisal
    • SLT and new initiatives
    • New Initiatives anyway
    • Class sizes increasing
    • Plus the rest........
    Or will he merely say - "Soundbite delivered, Job Done"

In fairness any money boost to schools will not get any further than making sure the MAT CEO can afford a better car next year.

emerald52 and install like this.
  9. MrLW1

MrLW1 New commenter

I'll believe it when I see it.

thekillers1 likes this.
  10. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

Brexit will be in the way of these initiatives.

11. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Looking back to when I started teaching, in the late Seventies, I cannot think of anything that has reduced teachers' workload, only increase it.

In the words off the late Ian Paisley, "Never, never, never, never."

12. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

The Tories are desperate for teachers and concerned parents to vote for them in the snap election coming soon.