1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

More cancer thoughts...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by grumpydogwoman, Dec 14, 2019.

1. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Second chemo yesterday

Random thoughts:
    • So many wonderful families
    • But how they struggle
    • One wonderful daughter confessed to HM in corridor that she was struggling as her mother had been doing this for years but, in front of her mother, she was such a rock
    • Please think of the families - we patients will be getting lots of help and everyone expects us to be depressed - the families have to be upbeat all the time
    • Treatment is highly individualised for each patient
    • Lots of money and care goes into all these therapies - this improves outcomes all the time
    • I know I don't fancy years of treatment
    • My plan is to go with the flow for this round
    • I positively expect some remission
    • I positively expect it to come back
    • When it does I might explore alternative therapies as I don't fancy years of chemo - too much time and effort - but I'll see what's on offer
    • I do know that absolutely everyone responds differently
    • Round 1 went much better than expected
    • Let's see how round 2 goes
    • You never know until it happens to you
    • But there are so many health conditions
    • Type 1 diabetes
    • MND
    • You don't need me to list them
    • Cancer is high profile and great work is being done
    • But don't forget everyone else with a lifelong or acute condition

2. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

You truly are a wonderful woman Grumps.

3. grumpydogwoman

That's very generous of you@foxtail3

You started early on the Christmas tipple? ;);):)

4. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

No, no,no. I mean it!
    It’s rare that I have an alcoholic drink these days. Today is not a rare day.

grumpydogwoman and agathamorse like this.
  5. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

It is rare these days that we have time to muse in the way you are doing, GDW. And such interesting and heartfelt thoughts which you have shared. You are a woman of compassion, however hard you deny it.
    I hope the 2nd round is equally as positive as the first.

Lara mfl 05, foxtail3 and agathamorse like this.
  6. smurphy6

smurphy6 Senior commenter

God bless you GDW. I hope round 2 goes well. You are an inspiration.

Lara mfl 05 and agathamorse like this.
  7. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Wot they all send, grumpy.

I echo thinking about the families. My brother had to support a family member. Keeping up appearances while being scared silly (to put it politely) was an incredible strain.

8. friedgreentomatoes

friedgreentomatoes Star commenter

I hope your second round of chemo goes as well as the first. I have to say that your "Cancer thread for patients etc." on here has been a great comfort to me over the last few months. It can be very lonely living with a cancer patient and I have found it so helpful to read everybody else's experiences.

9. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Take care Grumps

Lara mfl 05 and agathamorse like this.
  10. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Nothing much to add really @grumpydogwoman your original cancer thread left me a bit bemused at the details and detailed advice others were able to give.

I am pleased that you seem as positive and thoughtful as ever. I am somewhat awed by the fact you have so much time to think of others around you while you are undergoing your treatment which makes me think of soldiers in battle, long periods of nothing happening with intense spells where everything happens at once.

If I believed in prayer I'd do that, as it is I might go and dance round a big tree naked at midnight just in case.

11. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Very thought-provoking, Grumpy. You are so compassionate in the way that you are thinking so widely about others who are suffering and enduring treatments, as well as their families. I hope yesterday went well and you're not feeling too bad today.

Take care x

12. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

@friedgreentomatoes, you are so right. It is very lonely, especially when the patient in question believes in ‘the stiff upper lip’ and refuses support.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  13. vannie

vannie Star commenter

Good luck Grumpy. I hope it all goes well for you.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  14. towncryer

towncryer Lead commenter

What a selfless post. So true about families and the support they give at times like this.
    Lots of luck in your next round.

caress and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  15. Lazycat

Lazycat Senior commenter

Wise words Grumpy. I know I’ve said it before but I think it’s worth repeating- our experience of chemo is there’s no predicting how it will be. Some rounds barely register, others will leave you feeling completely pole axed.

You’re absolutely right about friends and family, it takes its toll in very strange ways. A good friend of mine has been very off hand with me recently, I’ve got no idea what I’ve done. A few years ago I would have been desperately upset by her behaviour, not so bothered now, if she makes contact again, that’s fine. If she doesn’t, that’s fine too. I’ve got more important things to worry about.

caress, Lara mfl 05 and frangipani123 like this.
  16. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Can't TES give you some kind of special badge for your threads, grumpy? I mean, I'm some kind of Star Commentator but all I do is get premodded all the time. You could be "Inspirational Commentator". :D

17. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Wot, and get more than 98 points??? Whatever next?

xxx hrumpy

sorry - one of genuine typos that I liked!

18. grumpydogwoman

I was there for 10 hours so I met a lot of people!

Then my neighbour came today to shave my remaining hair. She likes to look after me as she looked after her daughter who died at the age of 52. My neighbour is 78. She and her husband suffer terribly still after 3 years. Thinking why wasn't it them at their ages?

It made me think even harder about their plight. Everyone yesterday was accompanied either by a partner or an adult child. A few were on their own. There were no adult patients with elderly parents to attend them. It must've been very lonely for my neighbour. She admitted it.

They'd always thought she'd inherit their lovely house that they built themselves. It's no use to their son as he lives in Canada. Very sad.

Anyway. I had terrible restless legs last night (probably the steroids). Done plenty today. Even looking forward to Christmas for once as I have worked really hard on HM's gifts this year! I hope she likes them!

One is a photo album of random memories. I think she will treasure that when I'm no longer around. I'm going to annotate it too. Got to admit there are a fair few pet photos. How could there not be? A Guadeloupe lizard. A scuttling crab. Our favourite bar in Croatia. Stadio Flaminio rugby. HM teaching my little grandson to feed the ducks. Not exhaustive of our 17 years together. Not at all. But I liked it!

19. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

What a lovely idea. I always think looking at the choices of photos people make is the most interesting bit.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  20. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

What you’re going through hurts my heart. Sending you love and hugs. Xxx

Lara mfl 05 likes this.