1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

More bad news

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by delahay, Nov 30, 2011.

1. delahay

delahay New commenter

This from Bob Bowie who runs the PGCE programme at Christchurch College Canterbury:
    'The allocation of places for PGCE training in Religious Education has been reduced by 50%, from 694 places in 2010-11 to 379 in 2011-12.'

2. delahay

delahay New commenter

This from Bob Bowie who runs the PGCE programme at Christchurch College Canterbury:
    'The allocation of places for PGCE training in Religious Education has been reduced by 50%, from 694 places in 2010-11 to 379 in 2011-12.'

3. Although all is not rosy in the garden the numbers quoted are for the trainees who are already on course.This news cam out last year.There is no indication yet for next years numbers that are for the cohort 2012-2013.
    The reason behind the decrease in numbers was because so many RE teachers were not in employment.There is a bursary being given next year for teachers of RE which there isn't this year.

4. delahay

delahay New commenter

I have just come back from a Sacre meeting. The interesting points raised were as follows: Ofsted no longer have to report back on non-compliance of statutory RE,Ofsted mentions SMSC but not in reference to RE, there is no grade given by Ofsted for SMSC, academies are not required to follow a local agreed syllabus.

5. Hi Delahay,
    Just a quick note about academies - after a ridiculous amount of research when our RE was at risk, academies do have a legal requirement to follow a locally agreed syllabus - it is part of their funding agreement (unless they are of religious character and then must follow diocesan programme).
    Academies think that they don't have to follow it, but this is not the case. I was told that most academies do not bother with RE as academies can do what they wish with the curriculum, but this is not true - the Education Act is law and hasn't changed - the Academies Act actually references it, as do government imposed funding agreements.
    Sorry if this sounds like a rant....it isn't, just a note so that anyone in an academy questions their policy regarding RE if it looks like it's on the way out. We managed to increase our curriculum time when they had originally written RE out of the curriculum completely!

6. Oh, I would be interested in this pack if it is still available. I am usually fighting a rear guard action to protect RE.
    WS

7. I would love to see this pack of documents too please!
    Thanks!

8. nigiollabhui

nigiollabhui New commenter

Hi NQT45,
    I have been locked in "discussions" for the last two years with our SLT. I could really do with any supporting info you have also as SLT are planning on moving to an academy and if I want RE to be a part of the curriculum I need to prove it's worth!