1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

More bad news for the EU...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Jonntyboy, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

...therefore good news for the UK.

The Poles have just re-elected their Euro-lukewarm president for another term.

Whilst the centre-right President Duda doesn't appear to be an out-and-out Euro-skeptic, he's certainly not an ardent supporter, and those politicians he is most closely associated with have certainly clashed with the EU a number of times about woke issues.

His oppo, whose name I won't try to reproduce here, was a big pal of the smarmy, eurofanatical and anti-British Donald Tusk, so the fact that he has lost can only be good for Britain.

All in all, not a bad start to the week for us eurorealists. :)

2. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

The EU will eat itself!

alex_teccy likes this.
  3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Eurorealist = Fantasist

4. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

I presume you haven't seen any other news today then.

Don't worry though, I'm sure it will be a roaring success...

It's going to be sooooo funny.

monicabilongame and BigFrankEM like this.
  5. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Why is it good news for the UK?

ajrowing likes this.
  6. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Croatia held elections last week too. The pro Europe parties did pretty well. I dont know if that was good or bad news for Britain or Croatia.

ajrowing likes this.
  7. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I assume he means it's good news for our government who don't want a deal and never have.

8. Symingtons

Symingtons Occasional commenter

Actually I thought he wants to see many more refugees come to the UK, maybe members of the LGBT community forced out of Poland by increasing, state sponsored homophobia there? ;)

ajrowing and Jonntyboy like this.
  9. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Good news for handouts via Brussels for being a good little member.

10. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

I can't believe anyone would ask that question.

Unless of course they believed that the EU was a worthy, decent, democratic, accountable, incorrupt, efficient, supra-national body, run for the benefit of the people who live within it.

11. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

Bad news in a minor sense for Britain in that we benefit from independent nations to trade without outside the corrupt and baleful influence of the vile EU and it may well mean that the Croats have less chance of leaving the EU anytime soon

Sadly, though, it's even worse news for the ordinary Croatian people.

alex_teccy likes this.
  12. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Seems a sensible enough question to me. New President in Poland. So will we now get better trade deals with the EU?
    Even if he weakens the EU, how will we benefit?
    If Poland were to leave the EU which you imply in post 1 is unlikely, will we get either more or better deals with either isolated Poland or with the EU?

Does this have any relevance to the above?
    We are no longer members.
    Does our Government show any more of these characteristics?

ajrowing likes this.
  13. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

Your assumption about what I meant is wrong, though I think you are probably right that our government don't want a bad deal and never have, thank heavens. That is probably because they had the sense to realise very quickly that almost any deal offered by the corrupt EU would be weighted in the EU's favour.

That said, there are signs of EU panic appearing in the foreign media, so don't rule out the Eurocrats suddenly becoming more reasonable, as they stare over the cliff into the economic chaos that will result when we block their exports (unless they don't block ours, of course, in which case that will be fine).

lexus300 and Kandahar like this.
  14. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

As you have completely missed the point, and I'm not sure if it is accidental (i.e. that you are not very bright) or deliberate (and therefore are trying to waste my time), I'm not going to bother elucidating further beyond saying that it should be obvious that anything that discomfits an enemy is ipso facto a benefit to oneself.

lexus300 and Kandahar like this.
  15. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Nearly half of voters thought differently to you, I'm surprised you dont know that.

ajrowing likes this.
  16. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Who is 'the enemy'?

17. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Do you think the Croatians dont know whats in their best interest when they go to the ballot box?

ajrowing likes this.
  18. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Britain of course
    NINTCHDBPICT000378509765.jpg

We dared question the EU.

lexus300 likes this.
  19. burajda

burajda Star commenter

So who are our friends and allies?

20. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

I didn't think you much cared for war time analogies. You'll need to work it out by yourself.